1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Carry a rifle in public?

Discussion in 'Self Defense and Handgun Carry' started by Ethan N, Apr 14, 2019.

Under what circumstances would it be okay to carry a rifle or shotgun in public for self defense?

Poll closed May 14, 2019.
  1. Anywhere as long as they’re not breaking the law

43.2%
  2. Anywhere as long as it’s carried without drawing unnecessary attention

25.0%
  3. If they only own a long gun and have barriers to acquiring handgun (e.g. finances, NICS false-pos)

4.5%
  4. In rural areas

31.8%
  5. In places where there aren’t many people around at the time

13.6%
  6. In their vehicle or a vehicle they’re riding in

47.7%
  7. In other places Castle Doctrine applies (church, place of business), assuming they have permission

22.7%
  8. On private property

61.4%
  9. Only if it’s not an AR-15, AK-47, or other gun that the media portrays as scary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Nowhere never

2.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ethan N

Ethan N Sharpshooter

For the last several days there’s been lively discussion around here about a couple of guys carrying AR platform pistols in public (at a park, around Campus Corner in Norman, etc.). See links below if you haven’t seen the threads yet. Some people seem to disapprove of carrying long guns in public altogether. Others don’t have a problem with long gun carry itself, but have expressed disapproval that the men carried enough gear to possibly be mistaken as a mass shooter or that they did it for the purpose of seeing how police would handle the situation if they responded. And others were indifferent or supportive of the men doing what they did.

There’s already been more than enough discussion of the merits of those particular situations, so let’s try to avoid rehashing that in this thread. What I’m curious to know is simply how many people are against long gun carry in public places altogether versus how many think that it is appropriate or permissible in at least some situations.

For the purpose of this poll, assume that November 1st has already passed, making long gun carry legal everywhere pistol carry is legal, that whoever carrying the gun is not legally disqualified from carrying, and that they are only carrying in places where it is legal to do so. Also note we’re talking about carrying for self-defense, not for hunting, training, recreation, etc. Please select all of the answers you agree with.

Feel free to reply with comments or details about your votes.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/ar-open-carry-at-hafer-park-in-edmond.274946/

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/local-broken-arrow-2a-activist-who-arrested.275033/

2. pstmstr

pstmstr Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I voted for in a vehicle because it might make sense to have it handy in case it was needed in a situation such as an active shooter or other emergency I also think it would be fine in a church or building but hidden from casual view such as a church security team etc. Finally, on private property it would be ok as well if you are the owner or have permission of the owner. I see no reason why a long gun should be carried openly in public for self defense purposes. While I agree it will be legal to do so, we have too many people opposed to guns as it is. It just draws attention to the individual, especially if they are dressed like a wannabe commando. There are plenty of discrete ways to carry firearms, both long guns and handguns. For example, I used to have a Keltec Sub2k with several 33 round mags in my vehicle. It used the same mags as my concealed carry pistol but was in a plain black briefcase.

dlmcm likes this.
  3. Ignored Member

Ignored Member Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    "On private property" are you talking about someone's personal property, like their ranch/farm/hunting grounds?

4. Ethan N

Ethan N Sharpshooter

Yes, on their own (or leased) personal property, or with permission from property owner/lessee. Not limited to rural properties like the examples you gave, but not including commercial properties or property open to the public.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  5. Ethan N

Ethan N Sharpshooter

There is one I forgot to include. I’ll mention it here for anyone who would like to vote by reply:

During an emergency or other situation involving extraordinary risk of violent attack (e.g. mass civil unrest)

Some might consider open carry of any gun a tactical mistake during mass civil unrest, but that’s not really the question here.

6. CHenry

CHenry Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm definitely Carringing hot n heavy if I must go out During a civil unrest situation.
    But I voted to not limit any man's legal right to exsersise his 2A right anywhere that its legal to carry.

7. Ethan N

Ethan N Sharpshooter

Thanks for voting. Don’t forget to select each scenario you support.

8. CHenry

CHenry Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I voted for the first choice. It's clear to me what the BOR say.

9. dlmcm

dlmcm Retired & Enjoying Life!

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Now, if we can just get the rest of the voting public to agree with you.

CHenry likes this.
  10. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I voted for the first choice as well. "Shall not be infringed" should mean exactly what it says.

That doesn't mean I think it's always prudent to do so. Actions have consequences.
    :drunk2:

Ethan N likes this.