Carry at OKC Zoo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They didn't take to kindly last November. When I tried to get through the gate with a rifle and a climbing tree stand. They wouldn't buy my bit about conservation methods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last I was there I ended up in a Mexican standoff with a squirrel giving me the stink eye...the roving zoo people didn't seem too concerned either when I told them it was out of it's cage. If they can't even keep a little squirrel in it's enclosure there's no telling what's roaming free around that place...I'd carry if I were you.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If sb1264 had passed wouldn't that have effectively solved any issue whether or not this is city grounds?

The bill was supposed to modify that city owned properties other than court houses would have to have a security checkpoint to ban firearms from the building.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets compare 2 different public trusts. Metro Transit is a public trust and so is OKC Zoo.

I can't carry inside the bus terminal because it is a government building, therefore it is a prohibited place. However state law says I can carry on property around a prohibited place all I want. Due to a technicality in the law I can even open carry on a city bus.

If I can carry on property around a prohibited place, and the prohibited place is a government building because it is a public trust then shouldn't I be able to carry on all property owned by a public trust with the city as the beneficiary?

My personal opinion is the rule at the zoo is exactly that...a rule, not law. I think if you they discovered you were carrying they may ask you to leave and that would probably be grounds for a law suit, refusing to leave could get you trespassed.

Just my personal opinion.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Concealed is concealed. Agreed. What if SHTF and you need to defend yourself with said CC weapon and discharge? You weren't supposed to have it in the first place...so now what???

edit: I added this link bc sometimes ppl forget we have some great stickies....even me.

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?12516-Dealing-with-the-Police-After

So now what??
This:
Title 21 said:
D. Any person violating the provisions of subsection A of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00). Any person convicted of violating the provisions of subsection A of this section may be liable for an administrative fine of Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of subsection A of this section.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool. I guess $250 is better than dying. But you will probably lose your gun, license and the ability to carry. I don't know...I guess its all up to how you wanna live life. Pros vs. Cons. Life vs. Death

Thx for sharing.

Nothing in the law says anything about loosing your license for carrying in a prohibited place.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing in the law says anything about loosing your license for carrying in a prohibited place.

agreed. But Section 1290.5 #3 states
"Upon receipt of the renewal application, photographs and fee, the Bureau will conduct a criminal history records name search, an investigation of medical records or other records or information deemed by the Bureau to be relevant to the renewal application."

and to my point, in the preclusions section 1290.10 #8,
Significant character defects of the applicant as evidenced by a misdemeanor criminal record indicating habitual criminal activity;

I wouldn't want anything on my file saying I was charged for a misdemeanor related to a gun charge, that's just me though. You CC in a no CC zone and end up using your CC, you may find yourself slapped with a misdemeanor. A misdemeanor for some is a slap on the wrist. For others, it could mean the loss of your job.

I don't know, there are some on OSA that don't go ANYWHERE without their firearm and some that do. I guess we all make our choices and try make an informed educated decision based on the situation, but it's hard to know in advance if I need to carry at the Zoo or 7-11 getting my slurpy. SHTF's aren't planned, right?? lulz

we're taking a chance everywhere we go, best we can do is be informed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom