Carry Gun: Rail or No Rail?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what do you think? Do you insist, prefer, like, want, could-take-it-or-leave it, or just say NO to a rail on a carry gun?

Me: The simple answer is NO. Now, having said that, I do have one or two that do have a rail on them that I sometimes holster up with, but the only thing I add to them before I buckle up and walk out into the great unknown is ammo. They have a rail simply because they come with one, but I choose to not mount anything on it. If the same gun was available without a rail, I would probably buy it in that configuration.

How about you? Rail? No rail? Don’t care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say no rail for a carry gun just cuz anything on a rail is gonna add bulk and even a naked rail itself adds just a tiny amount of bulk. Now like you kinda say there, if I wanted a particular gun and it only came with a rail, it's not a deal breaker for me.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For concealed carry for me it's absolutely no rail. I have only one gun with a rail. It is my house gun and my camp/woods gun. I carry it open carry in either a belt holster or chest holster. I previously used a kenai chest holster but now have BlackPoint Tactical on order because it will accommodate my TLR-7.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it has more to do with are you going to add something to it. The rail adds very little under the barrel and honestly from what I have dealt with is the least of the worry for concealment. However adding accessories on to the rail (light, laser, nosepicker, etc.) are going to cause issues. The biggest problem with carrying anything with a rail and an accessory is you have more to catch on and an even more limited selection of holsters that are usable unless you go full custom.

So having a rail or not isn't really the question to ask rather do you accessorize your carry weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom