Carry Gun: Rail or No Rail?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanna get this valkyrie mini O-light that's supposed to be reeeaal small. Only thing is my carry gun has a proprietary rail. If yours doesn't, it would be a cool to have.

The only time I'm ever in complete darkness is before and after work while hopping in and out of the car since my parking lot has a busted lamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldn't even tell you if mine do. lol

I've thought about a light for my home gun, and for my vehicles, sometimes I carry a small flashlight, but I really need to get a light suitable for defensive situations. They are just so high - I've tried a small Fenix light, and while I was happy with the output, it stopped working after a year or so, so I haven't bothered to get another. I've got much crap I have to carry around with me as it is... <sigh>

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rail or no Rail is no huge deal to me. The only pistol i have ever owned where i wish it didn't have a rail was a Beretta M9A1, loved the grip checkering but wasn't fond of the rail.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me no rail on something like a 1911, P229 etc. If Glock it's not really a rail and doesn't snag unless it's one of those SF things from a few years back.

Full size should have them. Absolutely love my MC Operator 1911 with a half rail.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone that likes a rail on a 1911 is a........shut my mouth!

I have two with and two without. :)

The only railed 1911 that ever sees use with a light is the CRG, which occasionally wears one in an OWB under very limited circumstances. For the most part I don't see the need and had either of my railed 1911's come without a rail at the killer prices I bought them for, it wouldn't have bothered me a bit. The railed S&W 1911PD rides just fine in a Milt Sparks EX IWB and I don't even think about the rail.

Only two guns see constant CCW use for me these days. The Shield 9mm wears a Streamlight TLR-6 light/laser combo in an IWB and seems to do just fine without a rail.

My go-to carry gun for any conditions is a Gen 3 Glock 19 with Ameriglo Pro Operator NS and a Surefire X300 with DG switch in an IWB from a now defunct kydex bender. Even with the X300, it's almost as comfortable to wear as the Shield and is easily more comfy than the 1911 in the Milt Sparks EX, which should tell you something.

Regardless of carrying with WML's, I still EDC a Surefire hand held light.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a dedicated EDC, not a requirement. I have a G43 as EDC, obviously no rail. I have a G45 as a bedside with an inforce on it, and it will get carried occasionaly, with the light on it. I can take it or leave it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom