Carrying a 1911??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I don't intend to carry my Ruger Commander-style in 9mm, this video with Massad Ayoob, and Bill Wilson of WilsonCombat, gives a very good case for those who choose to do so.

I believe that I'll stick with my wheelguns.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find that my Colt Commander with two 8rd magazines (one WC and one factory Colt) finds its way into my edc rotation pretty frequently. Now the smith and wesson model 10 4" was my first love at about 6 years old but the Colt 1911 followed shortly as it was my fathers competition pistol so my confidence and comfortability with that platform are at the top. Plus she is just to damn pretty to leave in my safe all the time!
Colt Commander.jpg

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own eight pretty decent 1911s. I really like the platform for target shooting as well as collectability. As a former marksmanship training dude, I see a lot of credibility to the arguments presented in the video. I also think that anyone who is well trained/practiced in the 1911 and not in anything else is making a mistake by switching (without a lot of training first).

That being said, there is a reason the 1911 was finally phased/is being phased out of military combat roles. There are just better options now regarding capacity, maintenance, and reliability (without spending a ton to get it). Those translate pretty easily to the average Joe, who has $600 to spend, shoots maybe 200 rounds a year at most with his carry gun, and might clean it every other month at most.

The 1911 needs an aficionado to run it properly in defense. Same with revolvers. Both are excellent tools in the hands of skilled people, but I still firmly believe that a 15+ round pistol in the hands of an equally skilled individual offers them an advantage.

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I currently carry a Springfield 9mm EMP with 9+1 capacity or 20 if I carry a spare 10 round mag. The EMP is an excellent shooter and I really never thought I'd be carrying a 1911, as my P320XC was very nice for edc. Now the Sig is in my safe and the EMP is my go-to. I've been practicing with it a lot lately making sure I have its function down to repetition.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, don
I find that my Colt Commander with two 8rd magazines (one WC and one factory Colt) finds its way into my edc rotation pretty frequently. Now the smith and wesson model 10 4" was my first love at about 6 years old but the Colt 1911 followed shortly as it was my fathers competition pistol so my confidence and comfortability with that platform are at the top. Plus she is just to damn pretty to leave in my safe all the time!View attachment 215312
Don't let him lie to you. He carries a Hi Point. Second, if you keep rubbing my nose in MY, let me repeat MY grips. I am going to tell your Wife that thing in that picture you showed me, is not yours.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, don

Don't let him lie to you. He carries a Hi Point. Second, if you keep rubbing my nose in MY, let me repeat MY grips. I am going to tell your Wife that thing in that picture you showed me, is not yours.

Those are some pretty grips, but they would look better on my 1911.

Seriously I am very comfortable carrying my 1911. I like the safety features of it while still being able to get in action as fast as most other platforms. I also seriously doubt that any time I would have to draw it I will need over 10 rounds and if I do, I carry 2 spare 10 rd mags. I do not get to practice enough to carry a 45 anymore but a 9mm is okay.

I carry in a DeSantis thumb break so my gun will not be snatched but can be drawn quickly. Plus if I should stumble or fall I will not be the old guy who's pistol fell out and went off in Walmart.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, don

I just couldn't resist the urge to rub your nose in it yet again that you SOLD your grips to our mutual friend who then put them on a pistol that I BOUGHT fair and square, I've told you time and time again, you find me a prettier pair of grips for that pistol and I'll trade ya straight acrosst:)
And for the high point...There is no need to insult a man's shower gun :rotflmao:

1627420236773.png

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just couldn't resist the urge to rub your nose in it yet again that you SOLD your grips to our mutual friend who then put them on a pistol that I BOUGHT fair and square, I've told you time and time again, you find me a prettier pair of grips for that pistol and I'll trade ya straight acrosst:)
And for the high point...There is no need to insult a man's shower gun :rotflmao:

View attachment 215469
Can’t take insults too seriously from the guy that puts odd things on his chicken fried steak…

Latest posts

Top Bottom