Carrying a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Besides being bulky and having a limited round count and large speedloaders still with limited round count, I have had more malfunctions with a revolver than with any semiauto I've carried. I have also had the primers back out of factory 357 158 grain hollow point ammo essentially locking the cylinder in place. It took a piece of wood and a hammer to get it out of the frame. All malfunctions on a semiauto have been bad but easily remedied.

As was stated above, I'd consider a revolver useful to get to my rifle or semiauto 45.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Besides being bulky and having a limited round count and large speedloaders still with limited round count, I have had more malfunctions with a revolver than with any semiauto I've carried. I have also had the primers back out of factory 357 158 grain hollow point ammo essentially locking the cylinder in place. It took a piece of wood and a hammer to get it out of the frame. All malfunctions on a semiauto have been bad but easily remedied.

As was stated above, I'd consider a revolver useful to get to my rifle or semiauto 45.
You r bad luck! Man never had any of that with my Ruger 101/ 327 mag

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Has any one on here , besides police or our combat vets, ever had to use a gun and did you need more than 5-6 bullets??
I keep seeing the argument for more bullets but the vast majority of SD shootings are 1-3 shots. Personally I think for most of us here we will not put ourselves in harms way and a revolver would be fine if you can handle it properly. I do carry a 13+1 at work, but do not feel under gunned for the most part in my day to day activities after hours and weekends carrying a revo. Today I carried my 4 inch 357 to the lease to fill the feeders and check cameras.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has any one on here , besides police or our combat vets, ever had to use a gun and did you need more than 5-6 bullets??
I keep seeing the argument for more bullets but the vast majority of SD shootings are 1-3 shots. Personally I think for most of us here we will not put ourselves in harms way and a revolver would be fine if you can handle it properly. I do carry a 13+1 at work, but do not feel under gunned for the most part in my day to day activities after hours and weekends carrying a revo. Today I carried my 4 inch 357 to the lease to fill the feeders and check cameras.
If you need more rounds than a revolver will carry, you need to spend more time at the range, or you think you are going into combat with a swagger stick in your other hand.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you need more rounds than a revolver will carry, you need to spend more time at the range, or you think you are going into combat with a swagger stick in your other hand.
That's a pretty bold statement. I'm glad that in a gun fight you will score 100% everytime and have plenty of ammo to get you and your family out of the situation.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... Sure... Because things like stress, possibly being injured/under attack, potential low light, moving target, innocent bystanders, etc... doesn't increase the chances you might miss your target. That's an extremely dangerous attitude. I hope you weren't being serious. And if you were, I hope you never pass little gems of wisdom like that on to new shooters.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you consider carrying a 38 special revolver instead of a semiauto? I have one I would like to carry but the full size M&P just keeps jumping on my hip every morning

Too many small and mid sized semi autos perform better than snubbies for me. Add increased capacity, and it's a no brainer.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many small and mid sized semi autos perform better than snubbies for me. Add increased capacity, and it's a no brainer.
That's likely true for most people. But there are those who have physical issues that prevent them from effectively manipulating a semi-auto who don't have the same issues with revolvers. Not to mention, revolvers are pretty instinctive to use.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am capable of carrying a semi just like the weight issue I’ll keep the high capacity in the truck unless I go somewhere where it would be better to carry the semi

Latest posts

Top Bottom