Carrying a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Too many small and mid sized semi autos perform better than snubbies for me. Add increased capacity, and it's a no brainer.
Not knocking semi auto pistols , just saying with proper practice and comfort level there is nothing wrong with carrying a revo. Some folks just do not care for a revolver and that is cool as well. I find practicing with my snubbs makes me a better shot with my pistols .

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's likely true for most people. But there are those who have physical issues that prevent them from effectively manipulating a semi-auto who don't have the same issues with revolvers. Not to mention, revolvers are pretty instinctive to use.

It's been my experience that those with physical issues, also have problems with the long and usually heavy DAO trigger on a revolver. But I get it, use whatever works.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a revolver when I want the extra firepower or flexibility of carrying snake shot when I am hunting/fishing. By firepower I mean carrying my SW 610 (10mm) when I’m hunting squirrels and might see a hog or aggressive stray dog. It’s typically carried cross body draw, which is more comfortable and not as in the way/heavy as my 4.5” XDM with 15+1rds of 10mm. In the woods of Oklahoma that just seems like a lot of extra to carry around.

but to ride on what okierider said, if I needed more than 2-3 rounds when in combat, it was because I was using the surplus of ammo for suppressive fire. That’s not something I want to do when carrying as a civilian. And to be realistic, if you confront several armed bad guys alone, you’re more than likely going to get stabbed or shot by one of the ones you haven’t shot (or maybe have shot if you aren’t obscenely accurate and cool under pressure) before you empty a revolver. Cold hard truth sadly. I find the capacity argument to be moot, however, I typically carry a G48 with 10+1 with a shield arms S15 15 rounder as backup, and if I’m carrying full size it’s an HK with 21 rounds at my disposal. I’m a better, faster shot with both than I am my revolvers. Situation is the ultimate dictator of what you carry, in my opinion.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not knocking semi auto pistols , just saying with proper practice and comfort level there is nothing wrong with carrying a revo. Some folks just do not care for a revolver and that is cool as well. I find practicing with my snubbs makes me a better shot with my pistols .

I like revolvers and they have their place, just think the mentality of that those that knock others that would prefer more capacity is misguided. Also, again, there's still the performance aspect.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... Sure... Because things like stress, possibly being injured/under attack, potential low light, moving target, innocent bystanders, etc... doesn't increase the chances you might miss your target. That's an extremely dangerous attitude. I hope you weren't being serious. And if you were, I hope you never pass little gems of wisdom like that on to new shooters.
The vast majority of civilian, non-gang related shootings are against one person at almost point blank range. Usually within 10 feet if I remember correctly. Getting your firearm out of the holster, on target and the first two rounds in the kill zone are what matters most. Practice, practice, practice is what I tell new shooters. You can carry any weapon you want but unless you are spraying & praying you will probably not need more than 6 rounds to end the fight. I do carry extra ammo just in case but I doubt I will need it.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a J frame Smith every day as my primary carry. I'm confident in its reliability and my skill with it. Im not being arrogant and I don't feel my ego has gotten bigger than my sense of what could happen. Also for me carrying something bigger or high capacity isn't practical. So I train. And frankly I train because the thought of having to use a gun to defend myself is frightening and I want to be proficient so the chance of making a mistake is minimized.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am capable of carrying a semi just like the weight issue I’ll keep the high capacity in the truck unless I go somewhere where it would be better to carry the semi

For me guns like the P365 made the size advantage with snubs moot. Sure they'll weigh a few more ounces.... but the P365 is actually smaller than a 442.... with a longer barrel... and has a higher capacity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom