Carrying a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the time I exited the Army ('72) to 1999, I owned - and sometimes carried - a 3" Charter Arms Bulldog, in .38 caliber. Loaded it with 5 rounds of 158-grain semi-jacketed hollow-point +p ammo. It was accurate, and it concealed well enough in a leather hip holster. For nearly 3 decades I was happy with that arrangement, and I kept the Bulldog in excellent condition. In 2000, I gave the revolver to my daughter when she went to college.

When striker-fired semi-auto pistols came on the market, I gave in to the temptation. By 2006 I had settled on the 9mm Springfield Arms XD (for all the usual reasons - weight, concealability, capacity, etc). Now, with my arthritis showing up, recoil is a serious factor in my decision to stay with a semi-auto, but I guess I do still have a soft spot for revolvers (old habits die hard?).

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You keep saying spray and pray but that's YOUR mentality and mindset and I'm not sure why. However, per your own words you need more training? Not that I needed classes to remind me, but that's not my mentality whether I carry 5 rounds, or 17. People are just using platforms they are more proficient with, and for some that happens to not be a revolver, not sure why you believe said individuals will start shooting indiscriminately.
I say spray and pray because I have seen it in real life and at the range.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say spray and pray because I have seen it in real life and at the range.

More power to you, sampling size of one and all. However, this doesn't mean that everyone that doesn't carry a revolver, trains that way, nor has that mentality. From what I gather, some need to get out more and visit a class or two before casting antiquated dispersions.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right, things are getting worse all the time. I can't tell you what to do, but if I was an everyday Joe instead of a cop, I'd pocket carry a Smith and Wesson J frame and have a semi-auto of some sort in the car/truck. Thataway if things did go south for you, you could at least use the revo to make your way back to your vehicle where your trusty M&P is waiting.
That's what I do. I carry a S&W 442 performance center every single day. In my car is an M&P in .357 Sig with three 15rd mags and Speer gold dot 125grn HP.

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a 38 snubbie for a backup at work, in a support side cargo pocket holster. It's also got a clipdraw hook, which makes it my gun of choice for deep concealment, because it freakin' disappears IWB, and I shoot it much better than my little semi-autos, despite the increased capacity the Shield and LCP provide. Two speed strips in the back pocket are my reloads.

That said, I shoot my G19 much better than the snub, and my full-size Glocks, 1911's and CZ's much better than the 19. Use what makes sense, and practice as much as you can afford to.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me, there isn't any single aspect of a CCW where the revolver outshines a semi...less capacity, thicker body (Less concealable), cylinder gap, DAO follow up shots, etc.

In a non-CCW aspect, I see advantage when getting into more powerful rounds (hunting or country back up) and where "odd" ammo makes sense (ie, shot shells).

People acting like having extra capacity in a semi platform is somehow a negative (while they carry extra ammo for their revolvers) is silly. I can't think of a single negative about having the ability to carry more ammo in a magazine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom