Carrying a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone told me that you should carry a pistol without a loaded chamber and if you hand a police officer a pistol with a loaded chamber you are in trouble.

#1. Is this true in Oklahoma?
#2. If so, Don't all revolvers have loaded chambers?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone told me that you should carry a pistol without a loaded chamber and if you hand a police officer a pistol with a loaded chamber you are in trouble.

#1. Is this true in Oklahoma?
#2. If so, Don't all revolvers have loaded chambers?
Modern revolvers do not need to be carried with an open chamber. That used to be the practice with old single actions like 1800’s Colts, etc.

As for semi autos carried for self defense…. If you are carrying it without one in the pipe, most likely, you will lose in a gun fight.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive put more rnds downrange with a snubbie than a semi-auto. Joined the "snub clubs" that are online that have specific drills for them. I still love them, still carry one from time to time but arthritis limits my practice with them nowadays so I usually pack a smith Shield. Yet I still go back to the snub every now and then. If you work enough with them, get some good sights and a trigger job, they'll do right by you.

JuanGrande62221

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right, things are getting worse all the time. I can't tell you what to do, but if I was an everyday Joe instead of a cop, I'd pocket carry a Smith and Wesson J frame and have a semi-auto of some sort in the car/truck. Thataway if things did go south for you, you could at least use the revo to make your way back to your vehicle where your trusty M&P is waiting.
That’s exactly what I do. Bought a P365 with the intent of pocket carry, and love it, but I just keep on with my 638. Hard to change after 20 years of daily carry and several 100 qualification scores. About five years ago I transitioned from a P226 to a Smith m&p R8 .357 for the few shifts a month I work. I like them all, but a revolver just feels right to me.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pile of semi autos from .380 to .45. I can't empty a single one of them from my jacket pocket. I have a couple of revolvers that I can do just that if the situation warrants it. That's just one aspect. With that said I usually carry a semi of some sort but I generally have a snubby on me too. They are just too easy to carry and hide. Contrary to popular opinion I've not found any auto that carries and hides as well that's also chambered in a capable caliber as a .38 snubbie stoked with full wadcutters. The .327 mag revolvers are actually superior to my G42 in about every way.

Thats why I wrote "For Me" as my first two words...I can't imagine ever carrying a weapon around in a jacket pocket (I am 100% AIWB) and .38 snub with wadcutters isn't anything that I would ever call "...a capable caliber" in relation to a 9mm which carries (for me) easier as it is thinner and again, with more capacity.

I'd also would not carry a G42 as I don't see any benefit to that size in .380 - my only .380 is a Seecamp and that is when I have no choice but to carry a very small CCW.

But hey, different strokes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom