Carrying a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats why I wrote "For Me" as my first two words...I can't imagine ever carrying a weapon around in a jacket pocket (I am 100% AIWB) and .38 snub with wadcutters isn't anything that I would ever call "...a capable caliber" in relation to a 9mm which carries (for me) easier as it is thinner and again, with more capacity.

I'd also would not carry a G42 as I don't see any benefit to that size in .380 - my only .380 is a Seecamp and that is when I have no choice but to carry a very small CCW.

But hey, different strokes.
Yes, I was implying that I couldn't pocket carry an auto anything which I occasionally do and that snub revos aren't a problem in pocketing at all.

A 2" 9mm load isn't the same as a 3+" 9mm load with no BC gap. And don't discount a wadcutter. Dr. Fackler seemed to like them and there are several very squared away SMEs, both current and past that carry/carried them.

Dr. Fackler has written in Fackler ML: "The Full Wadcutter--An Extremely Effective Bullet Design", Wound Ballistics Review. 4(2):6-7, Fall 1999)

"As a surgeon by profession, I am impressed by bullets with a cutting action (eg. Winchester Talon and Remington Golden Saber). Cutting is many times more efficient at disrupting tissue than the crushing mechanism by which ordinary bullets produce the hole through which they penetrate. The secret to the increased efficiency of the full wadcutter bullet is the cutting action of its sharp circumferential leading edge. Actually, cutting is simply very localized crush; by decreasing the area over which a given force is spread, we can greatly increase the magnitude to the amount of force delivered per unit are--which is a fancy way of saying that sharp knives cut a lot better than dull ones. As a result, the calculation of forces on tissue during penetration underestimate the true effectiveness of the wadcutter bullet relative to other shapes."

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I was implying that I couldn't pocket carry an auto anything which I occasionally do and that snub revos aren't a problem in pocketing at all.

A 2" 9mm load isn't the same as a 3+" 9mm load with no BC gap. And don't discount a wadcutter. Dr. Fackler seemed to like them and there are several very squared away SMEs, both current and past that carry/carried them.

Pretty much every subcompact 9mm is 3+" barrel length. Again, different strokes but I certainly don't think a 22 year old written anecdote about wadcutters is influencing anyone...proven by the fact that I am not seeing any R&D on wadcutters for any caliber of pistol cartridge - not even as a novelty.

As far as ballistics, a snub nose .38 has zero advantage over a 3+" 9mm round. 9mm is absolutely superior to .38 in similar platforms.

Velocity: 9mm
Bullet design: 9mm
Cost: 9mm
Capacity (in this discussion): 9mm
Energy: 9mm
Platform Options: 9mm
Availability: 9mm

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much every subcompact 9mm is 3+" barrel length. Again, different strokes but I certainly don't think a 22 year old written anecdote about wadcutters is influencing anyone...proven by the fact that I am not seeing any R&D on wadcutters for any caliber of pistol cartridge - not even as a novelty.

As far as ballistics, a snub nose .38 has zero advantage over a 3+" 9mm round. 9mm is absolutely superior to .38 in similar platforms.
I noticed you didn't mention that Rohrbaugh you touted several years ago. A buddy bought one and could never find a round that would fire through it reliably.
The action was truly unique though.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed you didn't mention that Rohrbaugh you touted several years ago. A buddy bought one and could never find a round that would fire through it reliably.
The action was truly unique though.
I didn't think to "tout" any specific gun that I've carried? My R9 was fantastic. Simply never had a failure (didn't use +P ammo). Negative is that it kicked but positive was obviously the size.

These Days I carry a S&W PC Shield. I like it as it shoots really well, holds double digit rounds, weighs roughly 20oz and I like a thumb safety.

But, regardless of caliber, small semi pistols seem to have only benefits of revolvers for a CCW for me (which was my original comment) - it only sidetracked as calibers got brought in to discussion and I don't think wadcutters makes any sense over the other round that was brought up (9mm).

No need to start the caliber debate...thats an old dead horse.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't think to "tout" any specific gun that I've carried? My R9 was fantastic. Simply never had a failure (didn't use +P ammo). Negative is that it kicked but positive was obviously the size.

These Days I carry a S&W PC Shield. I like it as it shoots really well, holds double digit rounds, weighs roughly 20oz and I like a thumb safety.

But, regardless of caliber, small semi pistols seem to have only benefits of revolvers for a CCW for me (which was my original comment) - it only sidetracked as calibers got brought in to discussion and I don't think wadcutters makes any sense over the other round that was brought up (9mm).

No need to start the caliber debate...thats an old dead horse.
Wadcutters are for paper, but I don't want shot with one. My buddy's R9 was a total failure. Factory reject possibly.
I'm a S&W fan boy, using one in USPSA competition for years in .40, but still love that caliber. Carry gun is a pocket Kahr P-3AT in the summer shorts with a Kahr CW-40 in the winter. Both small frame. I'm not limp wristed so taking the recoil with the right grip isn't an issue.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wadcutters are for paper, but I don't want shot with one. My buddy's R9 was a total failure. Factory reject possibly.
I'm a S&W fan boy, using one in USPSA competition for years in .40, but still love that caliber. Carry gun is a pocket Kahr P-3AT in the summer shorts with a Kahr CW-40 in the winter. Both small frame. I'm not limp wristed so taking the recoil with the right grip isn't an issue.
You make a good point here-recoil in a small frame. I think this is my only argument where I see a revolver topping a semi (357 mag snubby vs Glock 27) when you have someone that wants the punch but their wrist (IME is from arthritis of the older generation) can't withstand it enough for a semi auto to function reliably (Glocks are notorious for jamming up on a limp wrist). The Revolver even with a light 357 magnum load gives them that power and confidence that it will go bang every time you pull the trigger.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of a segue, didn't think it deserved its own thread. I saw a Charter Bulldog yesterday, Im unsure how long it's been in production.
It was a shrouded hammer 44 special. I kept thinking, for that price, it would be an excellent woods gun at way under the price of a Smith.
MSRP is 450.
250990875_935961043696998_7634795187603224087_n.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom