Carrying a spare magazine...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been running Magholder. Love it. Sits horizontally so you don't have to worry about it digging when you sit or lean.

ozarxx.org_images_magholders.jpg
Where do you order these mag holders from? would make carrying a spare magazine so much easier on us fat guys like me.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to get better about carrying a spare mag. I keep one in my truck but rarely have it in my pocket. Need to get another one with a bump pad for that very reason too. Keep flush in the truck and an extra with bump pad in my pocket.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went a different route. I found an old leather knife pouch with a snap enclosure that fits on my belt. Nobody notices.

This is what I have done lots, and still do when not wearing my usual attire. I prefer Carhartt pants in the winter and shorts the rest of the year. I always carry a full size handgun IWB whenever I leave the house and go into the "jungle". The Carhartts nicely hold a 9mm P226 mag in the pocket of each leg. My "woods" gun is a little more difficult. It's a revolver so I just throw a couple speedloaders in my pocket. When I was younger I thought I had to own every handgun made. Now I only own two.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in carrying an extra mag with you, I do 98% of the time, unless I'm in gym shorts doing a quick gas station run. I'm also a firm believer in carrying your gear the way that you've trained.. Trained? I hope you guys have trained with the guns you carry. Better yet, I hope you have taken professional training in how to properly handle a firearm and how to shoot the damn thing. Find where you're most comfortable, but also in a tactical manner, meaning you don't have to fumble around your pocket to find your stuff. Remember, speed is the elimination of excess movement. Speed can save your life one day and if you have to lift shirt, reach in pocket, find proper grip, present firearm, hope that holster catches inside the pants the way it's meant to, meet support hand to firearm, track sights, make decision to place finger on trigger, begin trigger pull while presenting firearm, etc. etc. etc. I'm not saying pocket carry, small of back, shoulder holsters, etc. etc. is bad, it's all on you, but find the safest, securest, best way to carry your gun and know how to work it from that position!

Back to gear... I carry a Glock 19 with an XC1, so my carry holsters are kydex and are the DSG CDC and TR Holsters, both IWB. Have you also trained with re-holstering your gun? IWB leather collapses and you have to open the mouth of your holster; something to think about. I have found that the best magazine pouch for me is a cheap Glock brand. They flex and sit very tight to your body and accept all different sizes of belts. The magazine seats well in the carrier and it actually has a slight retention indentation inside of it and will stay inside even upside down. Belts you say? Have you purchased a belt that can hold all your extra stuff you're toting around? I hope so..

No matter what I'm wearing, whether it be gym shorts, workout pants, shorts, jeans, hunting gear, etc., I wear my gun in a position that I have trained in, typically 3 o'clock and most of the time lately, appendix. My holsters, no matter what I'm wearing, provide me with enough of my guns grip to achieve a proper grip. My holsters do not collapse upon presentation and I can re-holster with one hand. My holster.. My holster.. My holster... Point is, get a holster that is going to give you the best results for survival.

I know I've gotten on my soapbox and gone at this and said too much, but it made me wonder when reading these posts, if you guys train the way you carry. I hope so because your life may one day depend on it. Will you be able to get your gun out fast enough to survive? We are already at a disadvantage, why give ourselves an even more disadvantage?

Latest posts

Top Bottom