Carrying Shells in the field......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question from a newb bird hunder. What do you use/wear when carrying shells in the field? I'm guessing with dove you may just keep them in a small field duffle by your seat for ease of loading? But when on the move for quail or pheasant what are you using? I understand the weather may dictate how you carry especially if it is real cold during pheasant season but what does your setup look like? I'm getting in to this "game" and don't want to do my typical, buying something cheap or just to get something and then spending additional funds over and over on upgrading several times until i find the best or easiest setup. Vests, hip pouches, shells shoved into your pockets???

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day I used to regularly get into dove pretty thick. The action when they are flying good gets pretty fast and if you shoot like me you miss...a LOT. I just loaded up my vest and pockets with all the loose shells I could carry. More than once I had to make a trip back to the truck to resupply. Quail, duck and other wing shooting is different from dove when the dove are thick, so don't think you have to have a special bandoleer or something as they will not hold enough shells. One of those plastic ammo crates or even a regular ammo can will work fine. Now if your wing shooting is really tuned up you can get by with a single box of shells. I hunted with a surgeon that shot his limit with about 20 shells once. He showed everybody how it was done. The dude just didn't miss!

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question from a newb bird hunder. What do you use/wear when carrying shells in the field? I'm guessing with dove you may just keep them in a small field duffle by your seat for ease of loading? But when on the move for quail or pheasant what are you using? I understand the weather may dictate how you carry especially if it is real cold during pheasant season but what does your setup look like? I'm getting in to this "game" and don't want to do my typical, buying something cheap or just to get something and then spending additional funds over and over on upgrading several times until i find the best or easiest setup. Vests, hip pouches, shells shoved into your pockets???
Back in the days I could walk all day hunting quail, I used a shell vest that had loops for 25 shells. Usually there would be breaks where we would move to another locatation and we would refill the loops as needed. The vest I used also had a game bag in the rear.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used my old Vietnam era web gear. Cheap at army surplus and each mag carrier held two boxes of 12 gauge shells. I also had a rubberized ruck pack for the dove. Still have my old hunting vest from high school that I don't even begin to fit into anymore.

1630681008448.png

1630681195516.png

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used my old Vietnam era web gear. Cheap at army surplus and each mag carrier held two boxes of 12 gauge shells. I also had a rubberized ruck pack for the dove. Still have my old hunting vest from high school that I don't even begin to fit into anymore.

View attachment 221083

View attachment 221087

I have used bandoliers, an ammo can, bird vest, even an old brown leather purse, Wif was throwing out.

Bought the surplus web gear, several years ago. Use nothing now.
Works for deer and hog, ducks and geese, dove or quail, even squirrel or turkey.
even have a holster to carry pistol.

The suspenders make carrying the load comfortable and distributes weight between shoulders and belt.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For upland in Oklahoma, Folsom game vest. Best there is. Put it over anything you’re wearing. Carries plenty of shells. Has a purpose built holder for my old school Tritronics collar remote (I still use it. It’s still working like a champ!)
Upland north of us, it gets cold. Really cold. Old school Cabellas upland coat. Has a fleece liner. I’ve worn it with a merino base layer hunting in single digits.
Folsom chaps are also a must no matter where you are for upland. They keep you warm and dry and also keep the shinnery and milo stubs from annihilating your legs.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have collected half dozen or so vintage shell vest, and a new one that will fit my large and lovely self. Just in case.

I figure if nothing else I can take a selfie wearing it and a Speedo, the guys will try to bribe me with guns to stop. :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom