Carrying Shells in the field......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 30 year old Carhart hunting vest that holds two dozen shells in shell holders inside pockets where loose shells can be added. It's a front loader for game meaning you don't require help getting birds into the game bag that is a rear loader. The opening is right along the zipper in the front. Shove the bird in and be done.
Typically hunting pheasant and what few quail we have, I don't need a lot of shells with the current limits, so I take some big 1" washers, tie some hunter orange 1" wide tape to them to throw and mark the location the bird fell if it's not immediately found. They do fall and run on occasion, but it gives you a place to reference back to while looking in the tall grass or milo field. Throwing your hat down works too, but when bird hunting I wear hunter orange as it's easy to swing on a fellow hunter and not see them while focusing on a bird in flight. I wear at least an orange ball cap if not a full vest and ball cap. Think Dick Cheney.
I also carry a "Sparkler". Old device to hang on an electric fence with a ground probe to stick into the earth. It will determine if the electric fence is live or not.
Rarely use it, but it's always in the game vest.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dove hunting usually a vented camo vest, Quail and pheasant same vest. Cold quail and pheasant heavier vest. Also one thing to look at before going too big on price is the type of gun you hunt with. I like plastic or Non marring, or hidden hardware on front to protect finer quality shotguns.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For upland in Oklahoma, Folsom game vest. Best there is. Put it over anything you’re wearing. Carries plenty of shells. Has a purpose built holder for my old school Tritronics collar remote (I still use it. It’s still working like a champ!)
Upland north of us, it gets cold. Really cold. Old school Cabellas upland coat. Has a fleece liner. I’ve worn it with a merino base layer hunting in single digits.
Folsom chaps are also a must no matter where you are for upland. They keep you warm and dry and also keep the shinnery and milo stubs from annihilating your legs.
You mean Filson?

Latest posts

Top Bottom