Cars you regret selling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, what is a car that you have regretted selling? Me, I have a few. The biggest would be my 84 mustang GT I sold for peanuts back in 2010. I had about $7,000 in it. At that time I sold my entire gun collection to hotrod it. I bought it from a member here after I saw it sitting in his shop. The only reason I sold it was because I needed a better daily driver car to get back and forth to work. My 88 mercury cougar was on its last legs and I knew it wasn't going to last much longer. And I wasn't going to drive my mustang back And forth to work.

Like an idiot back in 2010 I sold my 2001 F-150 to a dealer for peanuts because I was extremely broke. It was a 4.2 V6 and got 17 mpg. That's back when gas was getting ridiculous, couldn't afford to drive it anymore. My demon ex had My electric shut off because it was in her name. When she left she had the electric shut off. So, I had to come up with a $400 electric deposit quick.

My grandpa's 87 Chevy Silverado 350 long bed he gave me with a grenaded transmission. Sold it because it got 10 mpg and I had just bought a 01 F-150. So, I didn't need two gas hog trucks. I spent $1,000 putting a new 700R4 in it. I should have kept it because I had a lot of memories driving back and forth to NSU with my grandpa to pick up my mom from college. Listening to KBEZ the entire time, him telling his silly jokes. For the longest time it sat at a house at 13th and yale. Tried to contact the owner but they would never answer the door. The last time I saw it it still had the cragar wheels and BFG 275-60-15 tires on it.

My senior year of high school I had a 92 Lincoln town car. Burgundy red with gray leather interior, power everything etc. Nice car! I sold it to buy a POS 86 toyota supra. as of a few years ago I still saw it around town. Haven't seen it in several years though.

those are mine. Feel free to post yours.
7CBC42E7-9DD8-4124-8DCD-F6F3A0FD4714.jpeg

dabigboy

Marksman
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the only vehicle I really regretted selling was my 2008 Mazda 3 hatch with the 5spd. Sold it late 2020 as I recall (or was it early 2021...I forget), just as the car market started going nuts. I sold it because it spun a bearing and was knocking, something I then discovered was a common issue: engine starts to drink oil --> oil light never comes on for whatever reason ---> there's no oil pressure gauge 'cuz we can't be bothering the driving masses with such esoteric details ---> engine go boom. I generally drive clunkers as long as I can (which is usually many years), then sell them when they die or become sufficiently annoying. Then I spend a little money for a not-so-broken clunker. I figured I could replace it easily, like I've always done in the past...how wrong I was. I really liked that little car A LOT. Now, I would GLADLY pay $2k+ to have a shop drop in a low mileage replacement engine.

Ended up overpaying for another Mazda 3 (a Mazdaspeed) that turned out to have all sorts of problems....it's my daily now, but it's kind of a mess. Probably gonna cut my losses and get something else once the market cools off.

It looked just like this one. Outstanding car, too bad the Ford 2.3L engine is weak.

Matt

Attachments

• 2008-mazda-mazda3-s-grand-touring-5-speed-sunroof-56k-852204-texas-direct-auto-6.jpg
    2008-mazda-mazda3-s-grand-touring-5-speed-sunroof-56k-852204-texas-direct-auto-6.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0

dabigboy

Marksman
Reaction score
Other side of the coin, 2 years ago I bought my dream car, which seems to have appreciated at a notable pace..... I've sometimes wondered how much I might get for it on BaT or some other enthusiast venue. But I ain't gonna be one of those guys regretting a sale and wishing for their old Z again.

Every time I take it out for a drive, it's a dream of my youth come-true.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_20220422_171830207.jpg
    IMG_20220422_171830207.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other side of the coin, 2 years ago I bought my dream car, which seems to have appreciated at a notable pace..... I've sometimes wondered how much I might get for it on BaT or some other enthusiast venue. But I ain't gonna be one of those guys regretting a sale and wishing for their old Z again.

Every time I take it out for a drive, it's a dream of my youth come-true.

Matt
I always wanted a 1 & 1/2 pounder, but I'd settle for one of those 1 & 3/4 pounders.

But they are far outside my price range. I'll just buy suppressors instead.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
At the time I had my Camaro, my brother had a 69 Chevelle convertible and dad had a 61 econoline truck. Man, I wish we had taken more pics. But, back in the day they were just old cars. The coolest old cars we could afford but still just old cars. Mom also had a beautiful 66 bug. So in honor of those, I have these sitting on a dusty shelf in my shop.
00FC126F-5A5E-49C6-8C73-DD761F53D4CD.jpeg

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the time I had my Camaro, my brother had a 69 Chevelle convertible and dad had a 61 econoline truck. Man, I wish we had taken more pics. But, back in the day they were just old cars. The coolest old cars we could afford but still just old cars. Mom also had a beautiful 66 bug. So in honor of those, I have these sitting on a dusty shelf in my shop.
View attachment 295063
Good ol Day's.. nice bunch of cars... love those old trucks.

Michael M

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, what is a car that you have regretted selling? Me, I have a few. The biggest would be my 84 mustang GT I sold for peanuts back in 2010. I had about $7,000 in it. At that time I sold my entire gun collection to hotrod it. I bought it from a member here after I saw it sitting in his shop. The only reason I sold it was because I needed a better daily driver car to get back and forth to work. My 88 mercury cougar was on its last legs and I knew it wasn't going to last much longer. And I wasn't going to drive my mustang back And forth to work.

Like an idiot back in 2010 I sold my 2001 F-150 to a dealer for peanuts because I was extremely broke. It was a 4.2 V6 and got 17 mpg. That's back when gas was getting ridiculous, couldn't afford to drive it anymore. My demon ex had My electric shut off because it was in her name. When she left she had the electric shut off. So, I had to come up with a $400 electric deposit quick.

My grandpa's 87 Chevy Silverado 350 long bed he gave me with a grenaded transmission. Sold it because it got 10 mpg and I had just bought a 01 F-150. So, I didn't need two gas hog trucks. I spent $1,000 putting a new 700R4 in it. I should have kept it because I had a lot of memories driving back and forth to NSU with my grandpa to pick up my mom from college. Listening to KBEZ the entire time, him telling his silly jokes. For the longest time it sat at a house at 13th and yale. Tried to contact the owner but they would never answer the door. The last time I saw it it still had the cragar wheels and BFG 275-60-15 tires on it.

My senior year of high school I had a 92 Lincoln town car. Burgundy red with gray leather interior, power everything etc. Nice car! I sold it to buy a POS 86 toyota supra. as of a few years ago I still saw it around town. Haven't seen it in several years though.

those are mine. Feel free to post yours.
Had a 1968 Camaro SS.
Small block 350 and updated intake manifold and carb.
Front had a 2” lift and had Jackrabbit air shocks on rear.
Had 14” Series 70 tires on front and 15” L50 wide M&H Roadmaster Street and Strip on rear.
With traction bars mounted on rear axle I could lift front off ground.
Loved the car.
Sold it to my younger brother after I got married and had a child.
Bought a Ford pickup and brother totaled car 6 months later.
I wanted to cry.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the only vehicle I really regretted selling was my 2008 Mazda 3 hatch with the 5spd. Sold it late 2020 as I recall (or was it early 2021...I forget), just as the car market started going nuts. I sold it because it spun a bearing and was knocking, something I then discovered was a common issue: engine starts to drink oil --> oil light never comes on for whatever reason ---> there's no oil pressure gauge 'cuz we can't be bothering the driving masses with such esoteric details ---> engine go boom. I generally drive clunkers as long as I can (which is usually many years), then sell them when they die or become sufficiently annoying. Then I spend a little money for a not-so-broken clunker. I figured I could replace it easily, like I've always done in the past...how wrong I was. I really liked that little car A LOT. Now, I would GLADLY pay $2k+ to have a shop drop in a low mileage replacement engine.

Ended up overpaying for another Mazda 3 (a Mazdaspeed) that turned out to have all sorts of problems....it's my daily now, but it's kind of a mess. Probably gonna cut my losses and get something else once the market cools off.

It looked just like this one. Outstanding car, too bad the Ford 2.3L engine is weak.

Matt
I test drove a Mazda Speed 3 once that was hopped up to a little over 300 hp. I wanted to buy it but, the severe torque steer was a deal killer for my wife.

Latest posts

Top Bottom