Cars you regret selling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rr2008

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 1966 Ford Galaxy 500 LTD hardtop coupe, was my car in high school and part way thru college. I had no idea in the day how cool i would think that car is now. Had a 352ci, and i believe it had 4bbl. In any event it still couldn't get out of it's own way. But would be cool to have that car in that condition to drive and show now.

Next would be the 1983 VW GTI MK I, was my first new car. The GTI didn't have a lot of hp, but the rabbit didin't weigh much, I traded it for a new 1986 GTI that was a POS, as I later found out all that year had the same issue.

Range Plunker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I owned a AMC Pacer, which I regret selling. It drove great, and was roomy as any Cadillac at the time. I once drove it from Billings, Montana to Athens, Ohio, straight over a 22 hour period, and felt great afterwards. Of course, I'd be derelict if I didn't mention, that it had way too many windows for a young guy or gale on a date.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today if I had all the old cars I sold I would be filthy rich. In order of year.
I had other cars I could care less about like mid 70's cobra mustangs.
56 Bel Air.
61 cadillac.
65 Galaxie 500.
66 Mustang.
67 Newport Custom.
69 Mustang.
69 Camaro ss.
70 New Yorker
71 Torino
72 Chevelle.
72 Cutlass S.
72 Nova.
72 Nissan 240 Z.
73 Mustang.
74 Torino.
76 280ZX
77 Delta 88 Indy Pace car. Look that thing up.
78 Nova. Stupid fast for a work car with trailer hitch 0-60 under 3 seconds 176 MPH in 3/4 mile.
1981 280 ZX

Many of those I had were 1 owner and I was the second owner.
Many of them were show room clean.
I was a fool.. But I did drive them and then sold them when I was pulled over and asked if they were for sale.

I sold my 1947 Dodge truck when I was 19 or 20 and I have it back now.
NOT FOR SALE. I have been offered over $35,000 for it.. Not for sale.

Many of the cars in the list I have were purchased way cheap. Most expensive one was $900

A fool and his cool cars are soon parted.
Yep, this fool parted with few I wish kept, including my first car I purchased from a retired school teacher for $50.00 at the age of 14. I had a learner's permit and used to deliver newspapers and drive to and from school. It was a 1950 pea green Plymouth with a flat-head 6 banger with three on the tree. Sold when I was 16 for $50.00 to a service station and then purchased a 1965 GTO. Good memories.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little change in subject. How about vehicles one regrets purchasing?

I had two I regretted purchasing. The first was a 1973 Ford Capri. Purchased brand new when I was 17. It was pretty. Red with a black vinyl top......but a true piece of crap. It would eat up points and plug wires and many other issues. I'm sure at that age I drove it pretty hard. Traded it in on a 1975 Ford 1/2 ton pickup. It too was a piece of crap. Needed a total valve job with a little over 30,000 miles. In the 1970's American car manufactures were making a bunch of crap vehicles and even through the 80's.

I swore I would never purchase another new vehicle and stayed true to that for next 20 plus years.

Anybody else have vehicle regrets?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1976 Corvette I regret buying a little.
It had chaulky red faded paint and torn seats wasted door panels and carpet and cracked dash and I figured for the $3000
I paid for it I would just sand it and paint it and get some replacement interior stuff.

Yea that stuff was expensive for the interior. $1400
The paint was the worst deal.
After sanding it i found spider web cracks and straight line cracks and not a single body line lined up.

I spent nearly a year doing body work on it to make it straight.
At car shows I see original corvettes in the same time frame and not a single panel lines up.

Buddy always wanted a 76 Vette so he told me on a fishing trip.
I told him I had one in the shed I would sell for what i paid for it 3000 bucks.
I said it is stupid quick and will swap ends on you if you do not watch it.

It had different heads and camshaft than what was factory.

It now has ported heads and a tunnel-ram with 2 4's sticking out of the hood. He loves it.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, what is a car that you have regretted selling? Me, I have a few. The biggest would be my 84 mustang GT I sold for peanuts back in 2010. I had about $7,000 in it. At that time I sold my entire gun collection to hotrod it. I bought it from a member here after I saw it sitting in his shop. The only reason I sold it was because I needed a better daily driver car to get back and forth to work. My 88 mercury cougar was on its last legs and I knew it wasn't going to last much longer. And I wasn't going to drive my mustang back And forth to work.

Like an idiot back in 2010 I sold my 2001 F-150 to a dealer for peanuts because I was extremely broke. It was a 4.2 V6 and got 17 mpg. That's back when gas was getting ridiculous, couldn't afford to drive it anymore. My demon ex had My electric shut off because it was in her name. When she left she had the electric shut off. So, I had to come up with a $400 electric deposit quick.

My grandpa's 87 Chevy Silverado 350 long bed he gave me with a grenaded transmission. Sold it because it got 10 mpg and I had just bought a 01 F-150. So, I didn't need two gas hog trucks. I spent $1,000 putting a new 700R4 in it. I should have kept it because I had a lot of memories driving back and forth to NSU with my grandpa to pick up my mom from college. Listening to KBEZ the entire time, him telling his silly jokes. For the longest time it sat at a house at 13th and yale. Tried to contact the owner but they would never answer the door. The last time I saw it it still had the cragar wheels and BFG 275-60-15 tires on it.

My senior year of high school I had a 92 Lincoln town car. Burgundy red with gray leather interior, power everything etc. Nice car! I sold it to buy a POS 86 toyota supra. as of a few years ago I still saw it around town. Haven't seen it in several years though.

those are mine. Feel free to post yours.
My first two cars were, in order, a1966 Pontiac LeMans, and a 1963 Impala SS. Engines were 326cu.in. in the LeMans, and the 327 with camel-bump heads in the Impala. The LeMans blew up the 3rd day I had it, and I wasn't much of a mechanic back then, so I scrapped it. Found the Impala a few weeks later, and drove it for a year or so, then traded it for some odd-ball artwork a friend had brought back from Thailand. Whenever I think of them, I have to kick myself in the butt. Though my ex probably would have gotten at least one of them if I'd kept them.

Last time I priced a '63 Impala SS, a rebuildable chassis would have been about $10K, and a restored car about $50K. I had three kids in grade school at the time, and wasn't allowed to have firearms or hot cars at the time...

Bill

Jason L

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
1991 Camaro
White with red interior
Manual 5 speed
no power window or locks
factory cassette stereo that the cassette player rarely worked.

There really was not anything special about the car, it was completely stock, but it was my first car and I want it back so bad. Traded it in in 2001 on a new truck. Since then I have never sold a vehicle I owned (not hard only 3 since 1996).

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine doesn't hold a candle to most cars here (GTO's, Impalas, and Galaxies), however I had a 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 5 speed hatchback I had special ordered that was stolen (does that count?) It had a then new Roush fuel injection system and a nice lumpy cam (warranty, I didn't need no stinkin' warrranty) producing around 300 HP at the flywheel, up from the stock 225 HP. I regularly would beat then new 1990, 1991 and 1993 Corvettes into submission and had the driving record to prove it. It was emerald green metallic without any blemishes. Owned it for 4 years and loved it. Made the mistake of parking in the wrong lot. I came out of a club early and found two thick patches of rubber about 300 ft long. The insurance actually paid off well. The next car I bought was a 1994 Taurus to calm my driving style and allow driver's license points to clear, it was a good car that I don't particularly miss when I sold it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom