Cars you regret selling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three:
2014 Fiesta ST. First (and only) car I ever bought brand spanking new. I was wanting/needing a new vehicle, and saw the top gear special where Jeremy Clark’s on did an amphibious landing in a Fiesta full of Royal Marines. I knew I had to have one. Got it specced exactly how I wanted right out of the factory, I think I had one of the first in Oklahoma. It doesn’t look like much, and the interior was pretty lacking, but 2700lbs pushed around by a turbo 4 banger and a 6 speed row it yourself tranny was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. It was the perfect balance of fast enough to be fun, but slow enough you could hotrod around town without killing yourself every time you wanted to hear the turbo scream. And I still averaged 27mpgs around town. Probably the only ford I would consider buying, I still miss that little party on wheels.
3A76561F-6274-4FD7-9CDB-911CEBE72E38.jpeg

Second was my 2000 Lexus LX470. Bought it off a retired Tulsa Cop for $7000, loved it. Treated me well, went anywhere I pointed it, and aside from needing a new alternator, was utterly reliable. It had a little rust in a few spots, but was a great vehicle. Had records of every service it had and every tire rotation/battery/oil change since it came off the boat. Sold it for $6800 after 3ish years of faithful service, planned on buying a 3/4 ton Cummins. Still miss that beast, it was a great vehicle, and I’ll probably buy another one when I sell my current truck. Sadly, I won’t be able to touch one as nice for less than $13k now.
2BCA8BFA-0965-47B0-BC40-2599F8BBC4BA.jpeg

So I sold the Lexus, which left me with my dream car in the garage, a 2015 BMW M4. Light modifications, was sitting at about 500hp even to the back tires. All the carbon fiber, all the bells and whistles, and it had the beautiful red leather interior I wanted with it. I made 25mpgs around town, and as high as 30mpgs doing 100mph the entire way back from Austin one weekend. Wonderful, reliable car. The week after I sold the Lexus, I planned on going truck shopping that Tuesday after work. Well, the ‘Rona was in full force, and that Tuesday morning I was walked into the office at work and was told that due to business conditions, I was being let go. I needed something to work out of, so I ended up selling the BMW that week at a disadvantage and purchasing a pickup. To add insult to injury, the pickup I bought has ended up being the worst, most unreliable, most expensive to maintain vehicle I have ever owned. One day I’ll own another BMW.
7A759A6E-1963-4B63-9CEB-DD1344C234E2.jpeg

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I miss my first car, bought with paper-route and lawn-mowing money when I was 14: 1964 Falcon with a 260 V8 and a 2-speed auto transmission. It was metallic blue with a wide white stripe, aluminum mags, and lifted a bit. I think I paid $450 for it and then gave an older friend $200 for parts to rebuild the engine in a community college mechanics class. I traded it for a 1971 Thunderbird with a 429 V8.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1969 Dodge Charger 383 4 barrel F8 Dodge Dark Green. Black vinyl top and black interior (bucket seats of course. Ran like a scalded cat and crushed a bunch of people with muscle cars and no muscle.
Thing would fly low or top end. As fast as it flew, it still got beat by a bridge I hit going perhaps a bit above what the law allows.....or even close to that.
I miss that car and tried to restore one a few years back but it was just killing me on cost and I had to sell it.
Restoring a car is a huge commitment in time and money. At the time I was putting a child through college at OU, paying off a house and working on the car every day till late.
Still, I regret finishing it and being able to drive it today. Sad thing was, I had a complete rebuild of the 383 with transmission, and that would have been a booger.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like my kids, I loved all my cars dearly.

1967 GTO black w/white interior.
400 w/4 speed manual.
All bone stock.

1970 Plymouth RoadRunner
Built 383 w/ auto.
B5 blue w/white vinyl top

Oddly,
1972 Volvo 142
B20 w/dual carbs and 4 speed manual
Dark green w/IPD air dam and alum spoke wheels
Beautiful car.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t get rid of it on purpose, but a guy hit me and totaled my 1975 CJ5 in 1991. It was a barn find and had 15,500 original miles on it.
I had a similar situation. I loved my 1972 Cutlass Supreme, but got t-boned in Stillwater in 1985. Didn't have a choice. Man, that car would run.

Latest posts

Top Bottom