Case necks splitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went this week and shot up all the ammo I had for my 300 Win Mag. I just tried to resize the cases and almost everyone of them split at the case neck. This batch of cases has been reloaded twice. Is this common for cases to split after only reloading twice in this caliber, or is there something I did wrong?
I don't have a neck sizing die, I full length sized these all three times. If this is the problem, how many more times could I reload these cases by neck sizing only?

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Measure the OAL? On magnum loads I will only reload them 3 times. Standard calibers you should get 5 relaods on average.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't measure the cases oal. Usually I measure after resizing. After these split I didn't see the need.

I also did not anneal these cases.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloaded twice, meaning they've been fired 3 times, yes?

I'd bet a sixpack you need to trim AND anneal. But definitely anneal on a high pressure round like this. On my .223 for my AR I need to trim after the 2nd firing. I never anneal because I usually just leave them laying at a match. And they are cheap enough that I just buy more when they split. But .300 Win Mag is a different story in the cost department. I'd anneal them after the 1st firing and then you probably won't have to worry about it anymore after that, just watch your trim length.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really sure this applies to the case neck issue but I think there are a few tricks to resizing belted cases. Seems I remember reading about sizing the case so that they headspace on the shoulder and belted rim. Apparently, that method will increase the life of the brass.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have known about annealing since first starting to reload. I have never annealed a single case. I have also never had a case split like I did the other day. I guess I am gonna get geared up to do this for these big cases and maybe 30-06 and .556.
Thanks for the replies, OF thanks for the offer for the instruction sheet but I got me some" google fu going on the you tubes".

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For annealing I use a cordless drill with a socket in the chuck. Drop the case head first into the socket. Spin and hold the neck in the flame until the brass turns blue. Drop the case into a can of water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom