1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Case preping for match ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Jcann, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Jcann

Jcann Sharpshooter

These are the tools I use:
    Calipers
    K&M Neck turning tool
    VLD Chamfer Tool
    Head Space Gauge
    Neck Expander Die
    Primer Flash Hole Deburring Tool
    Case Body Resizing/Headspace Die
    Primer Pocket Reamer
    Outside Neck Chamfer Tool
    IMG_2525.JPG

I'm using brand new Winchester 7wsm brass. First I run them through the body resizing die so the headspace will be consistent. This die does not touch the neck. I check headspace in the headspace gauge. Next I run them through the neck expanding die using plenty of wax.
    IMG_2522.JPG

After the necks are expanded I trim to a case length of 2.09" +/-0.0005". Consistent neck length affects bullet tension.
    IMG_2523.JPG

After they're all trimmed and deburred on the outside I turn the outside of the necks to 0.0015". Again this aids in consistent neck/bullet runout and bullet tension.
    IMG_2521.JPG

Next I chamfer the primer flash hole for consistent ignition and ream the primer pocket.
    IMG_2524.JPG

The final steps are resizing the necks with my bushing die, chamfering the inside of the necks with the VLD Chamfer tool, cleaning excess wax out with a Q-Tip, and brushing the inside/outside neck plus shoulder with a 3M stripping pad.

Since this is new brass and my chamber throat has eroded slightly I will need to measure cartridge base to ogive length. I will be conducting another Optimum Charge Weight (OCW) with H1000 powder loads of 65.0, 65.3, 65.6, and 65.9 grains. Velocities with Berger 180 grain Hunting VLD should be around 2,860 to 2925 fps.

I'll post results once I make it to the farm to shoot these.

dennishoddy and D. Hargrove like this.
  2. dlbleak

dlbleak Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Nice write up. Thanks

3. Jcann

Jcann Sharpshooter

Took some measurements to obtain base to ogive and loaded 20 rounds in 5 round lots with each lot a different powder charge

5890E832-8475-42A0-B0B2-19CEEFED0B05.jpeg 8AA1A88E-C888-4499-835A-75399369A3E8.jpeg

dennishoddy likes this.