Case preping for match ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoy your feed back swampratt. I think both of us enjoy hand loading and the frustrations that come with it.

I don't think you need to shoot an OCW at 200 or even 300 yards. I'm not looking at group size necessarily but at POI. Are the shots grouping in the same area of the target? Say at the 5 o'clock or 6 o'clock. If you notice the 65.0 and the 65.3 gr group are kind of scattered but the 65.6 and 65.9gr group are clustered in the 5 o'clock/6 o'clock position. This tells me that I have probably hit an accuracy node. What this means for all intent and purpose is, I can have one charge weight, say 65.8 and due to slight deviations in pressure for one reason or another chances are the group at distance will only deviate slightly if any at all. Especially when you take into account the human factor and atmospheric conditions. Granted you still need to keep your SD/ES as low as possible and that's what I will be checking this weekend.

I've shot this rifle with the same load for over 7 years, almost exclusively with 180gr Berger bullets, H1000 powder, and a charge weight of 65.8gr. This loading is the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo for my rifle. It doesn't matter if the Berger bullet is the VLD Match, Hunting VLD, or Hybrid. They all shoot consistent with 65.8 grains of powder. The only time I shoot for groups are when I'm zeroing my scope (at 100yds). I find group shooting pointless in a hunting situation. Deer and antelope have about an 8" chest kill zone. I shoot a 10" steel gong at all distances. If I can consistently hit it out at distance I know my load is doing what it should. I also shoot 5" steel disks out to 500 yards. Two years ago I was consistently hitting the 10" gong right at 845 yards. (I didn't even measure the round splatter for group size, I didn't care.) I also had my antelope decoy by the gong. I took one shot at it and punched both lungs. It couldn't have been better at 100 yards. I guess my point is, is the weapon system shooting consistently?

If you're having a 12" dispersion in group size between 100 and 200 yards there is something big time amiss and it has nothing to do with an OCW. Just because a round groups great at 200 yards doesn't necessarily mean it will group great at greater distances. If you have high ES you'll start to see vertical stringing in greater distances due to variations in velocity.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was your SD on 65.9? That's a completely horizontal group meaning wind or shooter error. 65.6 has more vertical dispersion, and while it's probably okay for hunting, I would be tempted to shoot the 65.9.

Any group while shooting off a bipod and rear bag can have shooter error. You can even cause tight groups with shooter error. The problem is, the shooter doesn’t realize it until he shoots for groupings at another time. Another cause for horizontal grouping could be mirage of which there was a lot. I was shooting across a freshly disked field with 15-20mph winds. You could feel the heat difference once you stepped off the gravel road onto the plowed ground.

I’m know where near finished. I’ll run several shots across the magnetospeed this weekend to check ES/SD and if low I still need to confirm ballistic data down range. I’m not a match shooter, never wanted to be. I enjoy hunting and antelope affords the opportunity to shoot further. Hell, there may be times I see a weed in a field at the farm and I’ll range it and try to shoot it. I just enjoy shooting longer distances.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Totally slipped my mind on impacts on target being in the same spot with different charge weights.
I too love to shoot long distances and I do not shoot competition, I just like shooting.

There are many places I hunt that allow me to shoot 1000+ yards not that I ever have shot that far at game.
I have not even worked up a great load yet for my .308 I have had for over a year.
Seems I am usually too busy to get out and shoot.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8EE5EFF4-25AB-43AF-A692-FBA8BB82FC42.jpeg

Loaded up 65.6 gr and changed seating depth to 2.2775”. Ten rounds went across the chronograph with an average speed of 2938 fps and an ES of 5.8. I liked that the POI remained the same but the group tightened up at 100 yds.

I was only able to shoot them to 455 yards today on steel. Wind caused a little horizontal spread but other than that I think I found my load. Hopefully we’ll get the hay cut so I can drive into the field and set the steel out further.

On another note, I was glad to see my son gain more confidence shooting today. He shot a possible out of 15 rounds on the steel. He was finally able to feel what it means to be comfortable behind the scope and having your natural point of aim.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
VERY EXCELLENT!
The shooting and the work up and your boy getting his groove.
I like seeing it all come together.
Keep it up Jcann

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most if not all brass manufactures anneal their brass after its made because it was work hardened during the forming process. So I don't believe its necessary to anneal new brass. Lapua doesn't shine their brass after annealing and that's why it looks like they're the only company that anneals their brass after forming it. I generally anneal after the second or third firing.

I've got 7 loadings on some of my Winchester 7wsm brass. The neck/shoulder hasn't been the problem. The achilles heal is the primer pocket.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. All the brass used in this thread (7wsm) was new never fired Winchester brass, hence neck turning and no annealing. Like I said, I see no reason to anneal new brass. Neck turning aids in bullet tension (with the proper bushing) and bullet runout.

Everything aids in accuracy. My process is no where near what is needed to shoot F-class. I'm not weight sorting anything, measuring bullet length/ogive, trimming/tapering meplat, etc. I'm loading to the level of consistency that produces "my" desired results for the application of hunting. Others are free to further pursue their desired results. If they choose to anneal after they open their bag or box of brass and after each firing, by all means do so. My level of OCD just isn't that high. I spend hours and hours loading one round at a time which translates to proven results down range for my application. Maybe if I would have annealed after each firing that deer, antelope, or hog would be slightly more dead. I've harvested animals from around 27 yards to 712 yards and I can't say the annealing process was the game changer that made that happen. I will say the game changer was the total process, including the weapon system and the shooter.

All the store bought "match" ammo that shoots 1/2 moa or better in certain rifles is loaded no where near the consistency that I'm loading at. I would be willing to bet I could take a standard die set (no bushing) with H1000 powder, CCI primers, and Berger bullets and work a load that shoots <1/2 moa at 100 yards just by changing powder weight and bullet seating depth then take it to 800 yards on steel with great results....Hell, maybe I will, I've got the dies.

I don't disagree one needs to anneal their brass and that it plays a part in bullet tension but it is not the only caveat to bullet tension if you want consistency.

Latest posts

Top Bottom