Case preping for match ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My lapua cases in .308 have nearly the same bullet seating and pull forces from the first time fired to the 40th time fired.
Winchester .308 cases are not that way ..those are thin neck cases in .308 winchester and after the first time firing the cases exibit much less pull and seating forces.. like 1/2 of what it was.

The WSM brass is a thick neck brass and I would think would hold the neck tension much better than a thinner neck type brass.

If all were kept sorted as to how many times fired i would bet annealing would show minimal gains.

Now I like to anneal all my cases each time.. one reason is my cases are not sorted to how many times fired.
I tried to sort like that but when out hunting or plinking with buddies things get mixed up.

The annealing for me eliminates the odd ball flier.
Saying flier like you have a good group going and all of the sudden one round hits oddly out of the group.

I will also add annealing and almost all the other tricks would not allow my 30-30 cast loads to group well.

I then measured neck thickness and found it way off between cases.
Neck turning so all were the same thickness did the trick on that gun.

My Lapua cases in .243 and .223 are too thick in the neck for my guns and shoot like doo doo no matter what I do.
Except for turning the necks thinner. I turned them thinner and accuracy was excellent.

My chamber throat was just too tight.
After firing winchester cases in my .243 the neck ID measures .243.
Pretty tight.
Of course there is spring back happening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom