Case trimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only rifle cases that I use in a bolt action. And then only those that I want every last drop of accuracy out of. After trimming once I've never had to trim again.

Pistol calibers? Never.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well..... I had some sort of rationalization for my OAL variance and always attributed it to varying case length. Usually I'll see anywhere from .003 to .008 variance in OAL, not much but certainly not exactly the same for every round on my Hornady LNL. Maybe that's still within tolerances?

Ummm... wouldn't your OAL stay the same? Your seating die would give the same OAL everytime... how much bullet exposed would be different with different case lengths. Might screw up the headspacing with certain calibers that space off the case lip.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well..... I had some sort of rationalization for my OAL variance and always attributed it to varying case length. Usually I'll see anywhere from .003 to .008 variance in OAL, not much but certainly not exactly the same for every round on my Hornady LNL. Maybe that's still within tolerances?

thats probably due to inconsistency in your working the press, or a shellplate on the loose side.
Its still good enough for our work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom