Cast and Powdercoated .40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad those are shooting well.
What was the other bullet issue.. different coating or different bullet?

Here is a pic of random bullets I pulled that were harbor freight coated red in a shake and spin container.
I shake a few times but a lot of spinning.
One thing I do is only put enough bullets in to cover the bottom of the container. Then maybe 8 more bullets.

I pull them out with needle nose pliers,,I found that works best.
Place them base down on parchment paper.

Bullets are water dropped and then pulled from the water and dried on paper towels.
If you have oily hands or clammy hands then use surgical gloves...MY hands are bone dry.

Any oils or even any water on the lead and forget about good coverage.
This is a picture coated 1 time and all of those have been ran through a Lee push through sized. No BB's used just bullets and powder coat..i tried different things in the container ,, did nothing positive.
001.JPG
002.JPG

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had good luck with the HF red, and I just started trying some Eastwood powders. I also just started putting some of the airsoft BB's in the tub. Spin for about thirty seconds, shake vigorously for about thirty seconds, remove the bullets with hemostats and place on non-stick aluminum foil.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These were all 'shake and bake.' On the left is HF red; the others three are all Eastwood powders.
20180225_105713.jpg

Architectural Bronze (goes on thick), Ford Light Blue, and Gloss White (goes on thin). One problem I have is, these bullets come out of my mold measuring about 0.360". So, when you powder coat them and then size them, you wind up with some bare metal! It'll add another step, but I think I may try sizing, THEN powder coating, then sizing again. It won't be a complete fix, but maybe I'll wind up with less bare metal!

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know if the problem was the alloy that was used or not. My friend opened up his sizer die from .400 to .401 also. It could be a combination of both.

Those HF coated bullets look real good. It may have just been that particular powder he was using that didnt coat well.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got all my goodies together going to see if I can get around to trying some this weekend

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom