Cast netting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife actually went with me today to get some bait. I’m getting a little better with the cast net. And the granddaughter doesn’t mind the bait next to her popsicles.

2A6D625F-ECFF-40D8-A439-8987F376B729.jpeg

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I attached the pic when I posted. I vacuumed sealed them immediately, so there won’t be any extra smells from the freezer. Not sure if that will help.

And I’m not sure about them getting soft and falling apart. They are already very fragile right out of the water. I’m hoping the value sealing will help mold and hold them together tighter.

oh, and my wife wouldn’t let me bring the vacuum sealer back into the house. I guess I have a shop sealee now. Maybe I can test vacuums sealing wheel bearings with grease to see if that will saturate the bearings better than hand greasing them.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife actually went with me today to get some bait. I’m getting a little better with the cast net. And the granddaughter doesn’t mind the bait next to her popsicles.

View attachment 207938
Kudos to your granddaughter.....I bet she's a fisherwoman too..........

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always use fresh shad.

Hopeful to catch some fresh shad when I go out on the boat next weekend. I caught these to practice with the net and to have a backup if I don’t find any at the lake. These came out of the Verdigris river.

We are planning to go to Hudson lake next weekend.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking from experience, if you take your fresh shad, as soon as you get them, roll in cornmeal, put in a ziplok for vacuum bag and fresh then they are good for at least a year. The test is when you thaw a bag and cut them in two the blood should still be red. If so then you are good to go. This works. I agree with Bassin fresh is better but when its the middle of December and the shad are at 20 feet and you want to drift for blues and cant catch shad. Second best beats nuttin. I have used this method for years successfully.

Latest posts

Top Bottom