Casting Boolits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found that low velocities in my .38 and .45 in that range, 7-800fps doesn't require very hard bullets, a lot that I cast are just about pure lead and I have not had any leading problems sizing to bore dia. and using plain old Lyman lube. It probably helps that the bores are really good. Missouri Bullet Company actually cast bullets of different hardness for different applications, you might check out their web site

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
gl89aw, I have some MO Bullet Co 9mm bullets, and they work great. I'll just have to play with mine a little to figure out the best way to make these work.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
roadking, thats what I am wanting to shoot in my marlin. Are you using 357 or 38spl brass. What kind of a load were you using. I usually run unique I know it is dirty but it works in everything.

My 1894 357 marlin loves 158gr jacket boolits over a full charge of 296:blahblah:. i would like to try some lead in the microgroove barrel & I know that 296 wont work

I use the Lee 358-158-RF. I size them through a .360 sizer die and lube with Lyman Supermoly.
I can load them in .357 mag cases to a C.O.A.L. of 1.60" WHICH IS GREATER THAN THE SAAMI SPEC OF 1.59" and have no problems with them chambering in either the Marlin or the Vaquero. I've used Unique, 296, 110, and 2400 with decent results but my standard load is 7gr unique. it gives me some where around 1375FPS out of the Marlin.

The rounds I am building will chamber fine in my .357 mag guns but my dad has an American Derringer in .357 Mag that will not take them.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Larry. As of yet all I cast is ML boolits with pure lead. But I understand the for my gun only. I will try some of MBC boolits I have not shot lead out of this rifle yet, prob needs a good copper cleaning

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Definitely want to do a very thorough copper removal before you start shooting lead. When I switch from jacketed to cast I start with a copper solvent then use something like JB bore paste.
My early efforts at shooting cast bullets also gave me the opportunity to become adept at cleaning a severely leaded barrel. -Copper Chore Boy.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, here's visual results.

These are all bullets that I cast Sunday, out of a Lee TL 158gr SWC mold.

Sized to .358, and lubed with LLA. 25rds, 10 yds, standing, unsupported, single action.
[Broken External Image]

Same as previous, but lubed a second time. 25rds, 10 yds (didn't appear to be sufficient lube on the grooves of the bullets)
[Broken External Image]

Same as previous, but re-sized to .358 to remove excess lube. 25rds, 10 yds
[Broken External Image]

Same bullets as previous, but rested on a small table when shooting. 10 rds, 10yds.
[Broken External Image]

I'm happy with these. Best I can tell, most of the spread is operator error. And yes, I know I need to adjust the sights, but I didn't want to change anything else during the test.

Latest posts

Top Bottom