Cataract surgery ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On floaters......

What pushed me into seeing a ophthalmologist for the first time wasn't being diabetic but I had what I thought were a lot of floaters and every once in awhile I'd have a bright vertical thin line flash for a second on the side of my eye.

She explained that floaters were pieces of protein and I can't recall what she said about the vertical line flashes but she told me to purchase the below pictured over the counter eye drops ($12.00 for .33 fl.oz.) and use them twice a day for awhile and see if that helped.......after a couple of months the flashes disappeared and even though I still get the occasional floater they are far and few between, I still use the drops every other day for maintenance.

Refresh.png

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked at the OKVAMC and they do amazing work with cataracts. Once in awhile a wound leak with zero pressure. But majority had good results. But have "Cadillacs" as some veterans call them and I'll go see an Ophthalmologist that has some experience. Jeff Shaver on the north sde of OKC near Edmond is a good one that I'll probably visit one day.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another alum. I paid extra for the Synphony varifocal lenses and I have been very disappointed. Poor night vision and crazy flares! Long distance is okay but I need cheaters to read, even my phone.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang. After reading some of the responses here, I'm glad I went with Dr. Mallory. But then, he was kind of a pioneer in this field. If I remember right, he and a Dr. Little that he interned under were the only ones (way back when) in the entire Southwest doing cataract surgeries.

That website link I posted a while back tells about him.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember when they took out the cataract (lens) and then gave the patient a +12.00 diopter pair of glasses. The focal point was dead center in the glasses and they weighed heavily on the nose. I remember when I was a small child and was playing on the sidewalk and an old grandma type lady came up and she had those glasses on and it scared me to death and I ran away. I'd never seen anything like it in my young life. Fortunately medical science has overcome the removal of the lens of the eye called aphakia. When people have cataracts, the lenses in their eyes get cloudy and stiff. Once they are removed, the people have aphakia. The word comes from Latin words which mean "no lenses." When the lens of the eye is very "mature" regarding cataracts and one waits too long, the lens becomes hard and stiff and complicates the removal which of course makes the surgery more of a risk. So don't wait too long!

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Let me know how that goes. I have same issue. Left eye happened so quick while I was driving that I thought something flew into my eye and I had to pull over. Second eye was gradual over couple days. Surgery was recommended or live with it. Going to Dean McGee after first of year for another exam and getting it scheduled.
I had the vitrectomy in the right eye January 8 and the left eye February 5; both a complete success. Completely painless and limited restrictions for a week; no driving / flying for a week. Prescription eye drops are the only meds.
Whites are brighter and sometime cloudiness in the left eye gone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom