Cataract surgery ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the right eye done 7:30 Monday morning and the surgery went well, no problems so far with very little discomfort......taking my prescription glasses off and covering my left eye things are much clearer, sharper and defined when using my right eye only.

Between now and 7-6 when I have the left eye done I've got to use eye drops seven times a day (three different prescription medications) till they are exhausted.

Now when wearing my current prescription glasses my vision is actually worse in my right eye so I had mama go pick me up a eye patch yesterday afternoon and I wear it over my left eye and I can see great with just my newly operated on right eye without glasses.

Then I'm having the six stitches removed from my cheek this coming Friday morning from where I had the basal cell removed last week so I've been getting pretty familiar with doctor offices here lately.

Got quite a ways to go yet but I'm looking forward to getting this all behind me.

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats @Hangfire ! Glad it went well! I currently have a clear lens in my right (operative) eye and it's awkward. They put it in last Friday and I first told them 'this ain't gonna' work!' It feels like my eyes are trying to focus on two different points, and I have to make a conscious effort to get them to focus. It also messes with depth perception. I'm better with it now than when it was first put in, but it's still awkward. Man, they are shoving the eye drops at you! I had to do it four times a day, and that was plenty. Don't know about you, but my insurance didn't pay anything on the cost of those drops, and they ain't cheap! I, too, am scheduled to have my second eye done on July 6th. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Boring

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Got both mine done around two years ago. Got intraocular lens implants, too. Eyesight went from worse than 20/800 to 20/10. I have the eyes of a hawk, now.
DE448DA2-AEC8-4F20-A5AF-4383E99A66F2.jpeg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does insurance pay for this? What was the cost if you dont mind sharing?

Don't know about private insurance, but Medicare won't pay for it. Doc told me $1K per eye to correct the vision, and they could fix astigmatism for another thousand bucks per eye.

Boring

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was asking about the lens replacement surgery, did you have that or...?

I had both, at the same time. Initially I wanted a Lasik done, because my eyesight was so bad. But the optometrist said I had cataracts so bad that the procedure would not give me clear vision for very long. So she referred me to an eye surgeon, who removed the cataracts and inserted the lens implants. Essentially contact lenses. Permanent ones. My insurance wouldn’t cover it. But my HSA did. And it came out to be 3k altogether. After two years, everything is still fine; no degradation in my vision whatsoever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom