Cavity Back Bullets 105gr MKZ for 6.8 SPC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been hunting with a 6.8 SPC the past few years and have begun reloading for it. Found some awesome monolithic bullets that flat out perform. Cavity Back Bullets 105gr MKZ. They expand down to around 1800fps, opening up with three petals. They carry through the game and exit, leaving a huge wound channel for blood to come pouring out of.

Accuracy has been ok, about MOA or a bit over. Still working on that. Most of our shots aren't any further than 200 yards, with the majority being inside of 100 yards.

16" Wilson Combat LW barrel
Trijicon Accupoint TR20-2 3-9x40 mildot optic
Aero Precision ULW mount
Form 1 Titanium suppressor, direct thread

CBB 105gr MKZ
29gr AA2200 powder
Hornady brass
cci#450 primer
2.280" COAL
About 2736fps MV on an 83* day

Good enough for me so I loaded 50 and will be hunting with them this year.

When I get more time, I'd like to try some with H322 to be a bit less temperature sensitive. But with H322 case capacity/velocity seems to be an issue. The AA2200 has been real easy to work with.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That CBB bullet looks very interesting.. seems to really work well in the reviews i read.

Have you tested your specific load in colder weather like 30 or 40 f. ?

Do not assume that one powder will be less temp sensitive just because it states that.
You need to test each load in your specific rifle.

IMR 4064 has trumped Varget in all my guns in all weather. from 17 to 100+ degrees f.
H 4895 has worked in all temps with 450 primers in my .223.

I do not look at bullet drop as an issue in changing temps. It is not noticeable when hunting.
But larger groups are.

That is what i look for when temps change.. Varget could not hold tight groups from hot to cold for me.
Maybe i should use magnum primers when using Varget.. Never tested it like that.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I've tried my load in colder temps. AA2200 has shown about 2fps per one degree of temp change with my rifle. H322 was about 1fps per five degrees of temp. I don't care about bullet drop either because as stated I'm not shooting past 200 yards often if ever.

Lance from Virginia

New to the site!
Reaction score
Now that CBB have started offering 6.8 SPC in Factory loaded ammo, I have been to the range a couple times with them, I have an 18 inch Barrel with 1:11
twist and get a little over 2800 fps on my chronograph with the 105 grain ammo....I am able to shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with no problem.. I have never used them but looking forward to those 200 yard pass through shots with a good blood trail like other hunters say happens....

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am always looking for reloading options for various calibers but when it comes to the 6.8 SPC, I have to stick to the 120 gr Hornady SST’s. I have my rifle sighted in at 200 yds with 3/4 MOA accuracy. Though I seldom get an exit wound, when the bullet enters the chest cavity, it’s like a hand grenade went off inside there. The vitals are almost all liquified. When hit with that round, I seldom have to track them at all and the ones I have tracked didn’t travel more that 40 - 50 yds.

Though the SST’s perform well on hogs, I would be interested in how your bullets perform on those thicker skinned beasts. Wondering if you still get the pass through. Being as hogs often hit the thickest cover, it would be nice to have a blood trail like you described.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used 50 of them (105gr) for testing on hogs. In my extremely limited accuracy testing (mostly for function as I only had 50), I couldn't get anywhere near as good of accuracy as I had with other bullets (same powder type and seating depth)...however every rifle/barrel is different, so accuracy gets a pass from me.

I did have some extremely good exit wounds and blood trails with the 105gr MKZ in my testing. They penetrate very well too.

The CBB MKZ is not a magic bullet in that it will drop game that other bullets wouldn't, but I'd recommend with confidence as long as you can get the accuracy you desire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom