CBI pistol powder bulk purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got around to testing some of this powder.

I chose 357 Mag, and a 4" Ruger Security Six as the mule. As seen in the pic, it has plenty of character. I shot it with the Pach Presentation grips on it.
Factory walnut grips 2.JPG

I looked for data, it's slim. Some available for 125gr in 357, but I'm not interested in light for cartridge loads. I almost always shoot lead, and heavier projectiles seem to shoot better. Usually.

Anyway, I chose a Lee TL358-158-2R bullet. I shoot these alot, have a good supply, and a 6-cav mould to make more. It looks like this:
1660053990808.png

I seated so that it crimped in the first groove under the nose. One "shoulder" was sticking out of the case.
1.630" OAL. I fired 2 cylinders of each, so 12 rounds. Some had errors, or didn't read -, I noted that.

First I had to find a decent starting load. I looked at Universal, because the data was similar in the 125gr available data. The Universal powder seems a bit faster than this CBI, so I started with a known good Universal load, fired from the same revolver the same day:

6gr Universal - 979 fps, ES 144, SD 46
This load shows a max of about 6.2 - 6.4 grains, depending on where you look.

I went with the 6gr for CBI, and since I was using a Lee Auto Disc, I went 2 cavities higher, one step at a time.
1.02 disc threw 6.0 gr
1.09 disc threw 6.4gr
1.18 disc threw 6.8gr

This stuff is very fluffy, but it measured well in the AutoDisc.

CBI data :
6.0gr - 963 Fps, ES 138, SD 48 - 8 rounds chrono'd
6.4gr - 994 Fps, ES 128, SD 38 - 10 rounds chrono'd
6.8gr - 1041 Fps, ES 116, SD 38 - 11 rounds chrono'd

Notes:
- I wasn't really shooting for accuracy, mostly trying not to shoot the Chrono. However, the 6.4gr load was a nice load. Seems accurate, and very clean shooting.
- This powder shot cleaner than the Universal 6.0gr load. No soot on the brass at all.
- At 6.8gr the ejection had a little 'hitch' in it. I don't know if that was an anomaly or not.
- All the primers were still rounded. No flattening at all. I know it's not a reliable gauge, but it's all I have.

I'm going to stay with the 6.4gr load for casual shooting. That's over 1000 rounds per pound of powder, so less than a penny per round for powder costs. At todays prices, if you buy a lead bullet:
primer: .10
Bullet: .10
powder: .01

That's 357 mag shooting at under $0.25 each. And I have a BUNCH of this powder. I plan to try it in 44 Spl and Mag also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom