1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

CCI Shot Cartridges for Revolvers

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by gerhard1, Jun 1, 2019.

1. gerhard1

gerhard1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I am thinking of getting some in 40 S&W for my 610. The weather has caused the grass in a vacant lot I own to grow really fast and I have heard from my neighbor that she has seen snakes coming out from the grass. I intend to mow the lot, but I want to have something just in case one of these hideous, slimy reptiles tries to hitch a ride.

Are CCI/Speer shotshells suitable for use in revolvers? Someone on the S&W forum says not to use them as the cases will split. Any truth to this?

Thanks.

2. Defcon Shooter

Defcon Shooter Sharpshooter

They work fine but are very anemic loads. Need to be very close for them to be effective. I would choose to shoot conventional ammo

3. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    About 6' or less for any type of pattern. The rifling causes the shot to spread quickly. I've shot them in revo's and Semi's. I don't know where they are getting the case splitting thing. No matter, as that are anemic loads with low pressure so it won't be an issue.

4. LBnM

LBnM Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The only effective ones I have shot have been in 45ACP. Those have been a very good tight pattern and I have taken the heads off snakes with them. Not so with 44 or 357. I thought about using them in one of my 45 revolvers but heeded the warning Instead. I was told it was because the casing would freeze up the cylinder. No experience with 10mm shotshells.

dennishoddy likes this.
  5. shotty

shotty Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    They work great in snub nose revolvers. An old 642 Smith is a constant companion in my tackle box

6. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I've noticed the same thing. the .45 ACP does produce a decent pattern at a little longer ranges.

7. GUN DOG

GUN DOG Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Speer sold empty plastic cases you loaded I have some I loaded 9 shot with 5 gr of unique in a 38 case worked well in a snubby

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

dennishoddy likes this.
  8. LBnM

LBnM Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I think the deal with the auto cartridge CCI loads is they are constructed differently than the revolver cartridges. I picked up a box of 38/357 Big 4 at Academy. I'll shoot my new revolver in a couple of days and see how they pattern compared to the #9 shot.

9. adamsredlines

adamsredlines Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    They sucked in my 4" GP100. It spread WAY too quick (as stated above, due to the rifling I suppose) to do anything effective for me. Oh well.

10. RETOKSQUID

RETOKSQUID Sharpshooter

One thing I found out in the past when using them in a snubnose revolver for snake duty was to use a 357 chambered revolver. Every time I tried to use them in a 38 they would lock it up after the 1st or 2nd round. Never made it to a 3rd in a 38.