CCing AK pistol in truck isn't legal in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImaBBaller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You pretty much give your own answer. If you and other gun savvy people can't agree on how the law interprets your AK pistol, how would you expect a non-gun savvy LEO, Asst. DA or judge to interpret it? The very presence of the confusion and lack of clarity in the law makes it a marginal situation.

It's never a good idea to enter into a marginal situation which may or may not have legal ramifications. My answer would be to CCW a handgun that was originally intended to be a handgun, or carry a rifle or shotgun in accordance with the law. JMO, YMMV

I guess I agree, I was just hoping I was reading something wrong or missing something.

I wonder if there is anybody that I could write to that could give a better explanation of the law regarding large pistols. (Similar to writing to the BATF on NFA items.) If anybody has any guesses of who the best person would be to contact to get something in writing about this let me know. Maybe the OK attorney general?

Thanks again for all the replies.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The BATFE says it is a pistol, Oklahoma does not allow pistols over 16" pursuant to the SDA. It is not a rifle and cannot llegally add a stock to an AR pistol. If you did it would be an illegal SBR. Kind of caught in the middle. Sell it and get a legal short barrel AR rifle and carry it in your vehicle. Pistols are for concealed carry to fight our way back to a rifle!

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The BATFE says it is a pistol, Oklahoma does not allow pistols over 16" pursuant to the SDA. It is not a rifle and cannot llegally add a stock to an AR pistol. If you did it would be an illegal SBR. Kind of caught in the middle. Sell it and get a legal short barrel AR rifle and carry it in your vehicle. Pistols are for concealed carry to fight our way back to a rifle!

that makes sense.

When reading this, it sounds like you can conceal a loaded rifle in your car a long as its in your car and you have a CWL

TITLE 21 § 1289.7. Firearms in vehicles

The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun
shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-
Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a
loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun
in a land borne motor vehicle over a public
highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or
magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked
compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior
compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of
this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to
the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

"Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle
wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense
Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has
concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun
in such vehicle shall not be deemed in
violation
of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the
vehicle."

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Whenever you are considering walking in a gray area of law you need to ask your self 2 questions........
1) Do I want to be the test case??
2) Do I have and do I want to spend thousands of dollars being that test case??
I'm guessing the answer is no to both so take GTG's advice and get a proper fighting pistol and a CCW and go about your business.If you must have more firepower, carry an unloaded magazine fed rifle and a loaded mag in your vehicle. Steve

cinman14

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I really can't understand why people with legal questions do not call their local Police or the OSBI directly and ask..

Do you really think "but the guys on my local gun forum said it was ok" will really get you anywhere?

I understand and can appreciate asking out of curiosity and to engage conversation, but I really hope you intend on calling someone who actually KNOWS the answer to your question...

cinman14

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Might not get a accurate answer their either.

If you keep a clear record of who you spoke with along with the info they provided you have at least done some due diligence in getting an answer from the agencies that are charged with enforcing these laws..

May not be a 100% but far better than internet forum advice.. [Broken External Image]

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you keep a clear record of who you spoke with along with the info they provided you have at least done some due diligence in getting an answer from the agencies that are charged with enforcing these laws..

May not be a 100% but far better than internet forum advice.. [Broken External Image]

The police are not the people to be asking to interpret the law. DA,yes. The deputy next door, no.

ETA: The deputy next door is the guy you DO want to ask if you need a brother in the foxhole with you though. I wouldn't go to a lawyer (except Books) for that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom