CCing AK pistol in truck isn't legal in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImaBBaller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are probably right, but it's all listed in the "Okla SDA Lawbook" here:
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2009.pdf

Yeah you're right, but both sets of definitions state which sections they apply to. Only 1290 sections 1-26 are the Oklahoma self defense act. 1289 is not part of the SDA and is the Oklahoma firearms act of 1971.

TITLE 21 § 1290.1. Short Title

SHORT TITLE

Sections 1 through 26 of this act shall be known and may be cited as the “Oklahoma Self-Defense Act”.
TITLE 21 § 1289.1. Oklahoma firearms act of 1971

OKLAHOMA FIREARMS ACT OF 1971

Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title may be known and cited as the “Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971”.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
let me see if I got this right???? I am in violation if I carry it in the post office. I am in violation if I leave it concealed in the car while I go into the post office. I am in violation if before I go into the post office, I remove it from my person and put it in the console and someone else who is going into the post office sees it. Well then I guess I won't be going to the post office!

disclaimer: this verdict was reached from combining multiple opinions from this thread

Joe89

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm hoping somebody can help me here or point me in the right direction. I have a CWL and also have an AK pistol that I would like to carry loaded in my truck on occasion (not on my person like that crazy guy at that park). After reading through the SDA lawbook I can't see where it would be legal. Obviously you can CC any pistol, but the SDA book defines a pistol as having an overall length of less than 16". My AK pistol is over 20". As I've read it you can also carry a magazine or tube loaded rifle or shotgun with an empty chamber, but since my AK pistol is not a rifle or shotgun, it seems it falls into a hole in the law. I guess since I can't find where the law addresses pistols over 16", I guess I would have to carry it unloaded and separate from the ammo if it was in the cab with me. I'm hoping I missed a section in the law, and if anybody knows where it's at let me know.

Thanks!

Something that I think that you misunderstood. The law states that the overall barrel length cannot be more than 16" not the entire length of the pistol.

Any firearm with a barrel longer than 16" is defined as a rifle by the ATF .

You ak pistol has to have a barrel of less than 16" if not you have an ak rifle not pistol .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-03-03-56-32.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-03-03-56-32.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 150

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something that I think that you misunderstood. The law states that the overall barrel length cannot be more than 16" not the entire length of the pistol.

You ak pistol has to have a barrel of less than 16" if not you have an ak rifle not pistol .

FYI...The wording has changed a couple times over the past 8 year ;)

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you provide a source for that? The only federal definition of a handgun I can find is that it's designed to be fired one-handed. The 16" barrel length is the cutoff between a rifle and a short-barreled rifle for NFA purposes, but I've never heard of a barrel longer than 16" taking an un-stocked firearm out of the handgun category and into a rifle.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Raising this topic from the dead? This thread was back in 2010.

Latest posts

Top Bottom