CCW and suppressor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never heard that you couldn't, only that if you did have to use your CCW in a self defense situation you might get the 4th or even 5th degree in questioning afterwards. Not sure if hearing protection is a good enough explanation.

I was trying to reduce the impact on others while I dumped a mag into the bad guy, officer!! :eek:

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And under state law SBR's and SBS's aren't legal either. The law specifically outlaws them but then states that proper registration of them shall be a defense against prosecution. You could be arrested and charged for possesion of a SBS or SBR over and over, but you have a defense against prosecution and would walk everytime provided your NFA paper work was in order.

So if I have a ruger MKII and it's loaded I would be good to go, the same should certainly apply to my ruger MKII with an integral or thread on supressor. The SDA and statutes are silent on this one as far as I can tell.

Supressors are only mentioned in hunting regulations nothing under firearms.

I say if you're under 16" attached you are god to go.

*Disclamer

Telling the judge that it's okay to do because bettingpython issued an opinion that it was alright to do is not a defense against prosecution in the state of Oklahoma.

stewball

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, it really doesn't matter what the law says about this and that. When you're detained by a police officer, state trooper, sherrif's deputy or any other law enforcement personnel, if their interpretation does not match the "letter of the law", you're pretty much screwed if they decide to make life difficult for you.

Then the lawyers have to sort it all out.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with what you quoted, however the way I read it, the SDA grants you a license to carry a handgun. It does not grant you a license to carry a SBR, SBS, AOW, MG, DD or Suppressor. All of those are legally defined as firearms themselves. A suppressor is not considered simply an "attachment", it is considered a firearm under federal law and I believe Oklahoma follows all of the federal definitions. Again, this is just my opinion and I may very well be wrong.

Just to be argumentative.......:drunk5:..........does the SDA allow holsters? How about aftermarket sites? Lasers? Pinky extentions? Lights on rails?

You see my point....if the law does not prohibit something, then it is legal! Laws are restrictions, not allowances......free country and all........:patriot::spaghetti::drunk5:

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to be argumentative.......:drunk5:..........does the SDA allow holsters? How about aftermarket sites? Lasers? Pinky extentions? Lights on rails?

You see my point....if the law does not prohibit something, then it is legal! Laws are restrictions, not allowances......free country and all........:patriot::spaghetti::drunk5:

I do see your point and I agree that if the law does not prohibit something, then it is legal. However, holsters, aftermarket sites, lasers, pinky extentions, lights on rails, etc.. are not defined as firearms. A suppressor is defined as a firearm (even though I do not think it should be). If the SDA only allows a handgun to be carried, then it does not allow any other firearm to be carried. That is the point I was trying to make and it is just my interpretation.

On the other side of the coin, I would have to ask why you would want to carry a suppressed handgun. Unless it is an intergrally suppressed gun like a Ruger MkII, I would think that it would be harder to conceal, slower to draw and, like Stewball pointed out, would probably subject you to stricter scrutiny by LE if you ever had to use it. I do not see any advantage to carrying a suppressed CCW. Don't get me wrong, I like suppressors (I have 4 myself), I just don't know why anyone would want to carry with one.

As always, YMMV

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe an MG would fall under the definition of an SBR in the definitions in the SDA (barrel <16" and a rifle) so yes.

But if you had your CCW, the SDA may allow you to carry your -16 mag loaded in your car. I'm no lawyer and I don't have title 21 in front of me right now so you have to make your own choices.

Latest posts

Top Bottom