CCW rules for voting locations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are specific laws regarding carry in certain places, e.g. schools, government leased facility, etc, location used to do business with the public. You know the drill.
My place is a church...I don't recall churches being forbidden by law in OK as no-gun zones. Just wasn't sure if that changes when the facility is being used for elections.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The short answer is that a polling place is a prohibited carry location. Most people working the polling place will just tell a violator to go put their gun in their vehicle and then come back and vote. For those with short memories, violators who insist on carrying in an OK polling place can be (and have been) arrested, charged with a felony, and convicted with loss of all gun rights. If disarming for the 10 minutes to vote offends your principles, you can vote early or by absentee ballot (no reason required in OK.)

I voted this morning, and my carry gun was 50 feet away in my truck in the parking lot.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Translation, they can deny you if you are open carrying or if they discover it. You are not committing a crime unless you disobey their request not to carry if they verbally make this known and ask you to leave? A sign is not enough unless you are asked to leave and refuse?

IANAL, but take it as you will. Maybe you can become a test case for us a report back.

TITLE 21 § 1277 UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES

A. It shall be unlawful for any person, including a person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, to carry any concealed or unconcealed firearm into any of the following places:

1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IANAL, but take it as you will. Maybe you can become a test case for us a report back.

TITLE 21 § 1277 UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES

A. It shall be unlawful for any person, including a person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, to carry any concealed or unconcealed firearm into any of the following places:

1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
Well I'm pretty sure this has been tested for decades and no incidents have never made the news (since OK has been a carry state for a long time and also voting takes place here LOL).

The real question is now, are the churches that are used as polling places leased by the gov't 100% of the time? How would anyone know that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom