Celebrate good times

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever else you do, make it a point for either yourself or your wife to visit the build site every day. We had a house built in a neighborhood back in the '90's, and either the wife or I made trips out. Be before work and her after. The builder and all the contractors knew we would be there every day. If I remember right, Wednesdays were the only day we didn't go out.

All in all, I believe our house was the best built one in the subdivision.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! Sweet idea too! I think I’ll have to snap a few up the ridiculously long gravel driveway to start it out with.
Congrats on the new build! Always wanted to build my own, but never took the plunge.
Start thinking of a compact tractor and some equipment now to maintain that driveway. Your going to need them.
Ours is 3/10 mile long gravel with a 9% grade on 1/4 of it. I spend a lot of time maintaining that road.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Usually I’d resurrect the old “What are you enjoying tonight” thread to talk about this delicious Kentucky Breakfast Stout and fine H. Upmann cigar, but this time is a little different. This afternoon I’m celebrating for cause. After months of selecting a builder, drawing up plans, getting land surveyed etc etc. . . We’re finally breaking ground on our future home!

Cheers guys and gals!

fadcef04294c6f5ca36d15320572876a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Soonerwings,

Do yourself a favor and take your wife out to where they are turning the earth over. Take a deep breath. You will smell a sweetness, an earthy sweet musty smell my grandpa and my dad used to call "Oklahoma clean dirt". You will remember that clean dirt smell the rest of your life and with the knowledge that generations of Oklahoma farmers have also enjoyed it before you.

Whatever else you do, make it a point for either yourself or your wife to visit the build site every day. We had a house built in a neighborhood back in the '90's, and either the wife or I made trips out. Be before work and her after. The builder and all the contractors knew we would be there every day. If I remember right, Wednesdays were the only day we didn't go out.

All in all, I believe our house was the best built one in the subdivision.

Congrats on the new build! Always wanted to build my own, but never took the plunge.
Start thinking of a compact tractor and some equipment now to maintain that driveway. Your going to need them.
Ours is 3/10 mile long gravel with a 9% grade on 1/4 of it. I spend a lot of time maintaining that road.

Thanks fellas! I’m building on the back portion of the land that I already live on so the builders see me every day and I’m already accustomed to taking care of gravel road. The road to my existing house is 1/10 mile and I’m adding 2/10 on to it to get back to the new build site. I love that dirt smell. It’s one of the best things about living out in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever else you do, make it a point for either yourself or your wife to visit the build site every day.
THIS x 1000!

We caught a few boo-boos on our home by visiting it often during construction...

1. We bought a living-room light fixture that Sweetie really liked, and took it to the site. We informed the contractor so he didn't have to furnish one. Sweetie went out one day and the electrician was wiring up AN OUTLET to the living-room wall switch because he didn't know there was a light fixture on site. She showed him where it was.

2. We went to the site and discovered the 1/2 bath to the master bedroom was completely walled in. No door. Hopefully they would have realized this before the sheetrock crew finished it in, but ya never know...

3. And the biggest boo-boo by far... we went to the site before the slab was poured, and they had plumbing for the washing machine IN THE KITCHEN. I guess they thought the small adjacent room was a walk-in closet (from the kitchen? really?).

Anywho... keep a close eye on 'em.

Luck. Yer gonna need it.

EDIT: And one more thing... make sure there is no plumbing on exterior walls. We missed this, and it's extremely annoying in severe winters (we run a heater in the utility room when it gets really cold). :/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom