Centurion Arms house fire AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pliskin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a house fire that ended up rusting the AR a bit, particularly the screws in my Centurion Arms C4 handguard. Got all but one out that got stripped. Any tips on not damaging the rail to get the screw out? Figured I'd have to drill it but I'm nervous I'll mess it up. Also new screws are $2 plus $15 shipping anybody need anything from Centurion Arms so we can split the shipping? I hate paying that much for a $2 item.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use brake fluid on my rusty stuff to break the rust loose.
about 1 hour soak time will usually do it.
If you can get a screwdriver tip in the screw and it slips try applying grinding compound to the tip of the screwdriver.
Acts as a traction aid.

You can also modify the tip of the screw driver with a file to make it fit much more snug.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Or Torx bits. Sometimes the overlap between Torx/Allen is just enough you can use the other on a stripped head. I did this on a Allen head on my engine. Hammered in a Torx bit and drove it right out.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Left handed drill bits are good if you choose to drill it out when they grip to do the cutting if the screw aint froze to bad it will twist the crew out while it is trying to cut

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
rickm I use a lot of left hand cut drill bits.
I make them from regular bits though.
I have done so for 20 years.. way easier to sharpen a regular bit to cut in reverse than to sharpen it to cut forward.
Just hold it to the side of the bench grinder wheel at the correct angle.
Once you do one like that you will see how easy it is.

Refurbish all those broken bits into reverse cut ones.
And using a regular bit the bit does not want to pull itself into the metal.. as this can be a bad thing in some situations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom