Change up on Food Plots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am already thinking about something new in my food plots for next fall. I usually stick with oats and sometimes wheat but I would appreciate some help on other possibilities. Will sugar beets, chicory, Daikon radishes, rape, purple top turnips grow in food plots in OK? I have a yearly battle with hogs...this past fall we did not get a rain in time the hogs rooted up my precious oat seed until I got almost no crop. If you can recommend something i'm listening.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am already thinking about something new in my food plots for next fall. I usually stick with oats and sometimes wheat but I would appreciate some help on other possibilities. Will sugar beets, chicory, Daikon radishes, rape, purple top turnips grow in food plots in OK? I have a yearly battle with hogs...this past fall we did not get a rain in time the hogs rooted up my precious oat seed until I got almost no crop. If you can recommend something i'm listening.
I would look into doing something about the hogs.

Radishes, and turnips will have small enough seed the hogs probably won't bother the seed. However, once they develop a good tuber, the hogs will be after them. (It may be once they mature or it may be sooner)

Chicory also has a small seed, but generally establishes mostly root growth in the fall and then the leafy part grows in the spring and summer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom