Charlie Pride will not be down for breakfast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know Kaw Liga and Mountain of Love were done first by others but I always liked Charlie Pride's versions of them because they were "current" to my time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He had what I call a "Willie Nelson voice". Completely unique. Not like any other and not really one possible to imitate. But that term kinda doesn't work now. Willie's son can sound just like his dad at times.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He also was an Army veteran and played baseball. 86 when he died. They are saying "covid-related," but I'd venture that underlying health issues probably was the main reason.

Charley Pride - Country Music's First Major Black Star Dies at 86

"Born on March 18, 1934 in Sledge, Miss., Pride grew up less than 300 miles from Nashville, but the road to country music stardom was filled with diversions. He served in the U.S. Army and pursued a baseball career playing in the segregated Negro American League and the minor leagues, and worked at a smelting plant in Montana, where he started to raise a family.

Pride started singing while he was still playing baseball, but didn't move to Nashville right away. He signed with RCA in 1965 and in 1967 released "Just Between You and Me," which became his first country music top 10. From there he never looked back, racking up more than 60 all together over the next decade and a half."

Latest posts

Top Bottom