Cheap magnifiers, Holosun, PA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The eyebox has kept me away from any LPVO (that I could afford anyway) though they do seem to be improving steadily.
Part of the charm of a carbine has been shortish range snap shooting, especially from funky positions, hate to give that up
but I past 40 and my eyes are finding all manner of creative ways to suck now, so I came back around to the magnifier idea.
I guess for a couple hundred bucks I should just try one and see how it works.
I have a vortex 3x magnifier that I got just to test the concept and unfortunately, the magnifier has a similar size eyebox to the ACOG. A higher tier magnifier might be better but I really have to get up on it to not have a ton of shadow

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And it’s like $1300.
OP is talking about a $100 magnifier lol.

For the price of the higher end LPVO they had better be close to red dot, but even the best won’t ever be a red dot.

Ive got both, and I think the red dot is the more useful rifle especially considering weight.
A red dot alone is more than enough for most, and the most important engagement is that which is closest, where the red dot shines.
Well, it cost to play and if you can’t play, go be poor someplace else. Buy a $100 magnifier and you better not expect much other than a lousy piece of glass that sits in your range bag or hangs on the side of your rail like a obscene cancerous growth.

I too have shot both and for my needs an LPVO is the way to go. If or when needed it will do just fine as a red dot….why, because that’s the way I shoot it most of the time. Eyebox/relief isn’t an issue and hasn’t been an issue. I’m not breaching, clearing, or pieing corners. I’m developing my skills speed shooting steel/cardboard. When not being used in this manner it’s my hog/coyote gun. As far as weight, you’ve got me there. It is on the heavy side but a 16” JPE with thermal dissipator isn’t exactly light to begin with and adding a Razor G II-E only adds to it.

Fade2blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree if your going to spend over 200 on a 3 or 5x magnifier you're close to a cheap LVPO and you get an etched reticle that doesn't grow for a sfp scope. I don't remember if the eyebox at 1X on the Vortex or PA was really tight but on the Burris I have at 1X it's not bad at all. It's probably more of a 1.5 then a true 1X but it's not enough to lose your target looking through. I guess it depends on what kind of back up sights you're running if you want to use a scope vs red dot.

Oh and Primary arms stuff is on sale right now for 12% off so that might help.

Last edited:

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it cost to play and if you can’t play, go be poor someplace else. Buy a $100 magnifier and you better not expect much other than a lousy piece of glass that sits in your range bag or hangs on the side of your rail like a obscene cancerous growth.

I too have shot both and for my needs an LPVO is the way to go. If or when needed it will do just fine as a red dot….why, because that’s the way I shoot it most of the time. Eyebox/relief isn’t an issue and hasn’t been an issue. I’m not breaching, clearing, or pieing corners. I’m developing my skills speed shooting steel/cardboard. When not being used in this manner it’s my hog/coyote gun. As far as weight, you’ve got me there. It is on the heavy side but a 16” JPE with thermal dissipator isn’t exactly light to begin with and adding a Razor G II-E only adds to it.
Yeah yeah yeah go be poor somewhere else, have to pay to play…right lol.
Someone should have told that to Rumsfeld when he told us “You go to war with the Army you have, not what you want.”
I like my Nightforce scopes. They’re very nice. Very clear.
Do they make me hit targets better than a red dot at red dot distances? No.
Are red dots faster at red dot distances? Every single time.
Dude asks about cheap magnifiers and LPVO’s, dudes come in to brag on their Vortex. 🤦‍♂️🤣

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holosun 3x for $200 or Primary Arms LER gen iv with their mount for $150

I think I'm more concerned with the mount than the optics by all the reviews I've seen.
The PA has the advantage of having swappable mount but I don't know that I'd ever
pay what it costs for a quality one tbh. Anyone have much seat time with either?

I like the LPVO idea and don't necessarily think you have to go up to $1300 but that's just me. Really dig my Trijicon Credo HX.

However, I picked up a few of these PA GLX prism scopes that I threw on my Galils and I honestly think they are a good mix depending on how far out you intend to shoot.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-glx-2x-prism-scope-with-acss-cqb-m5-5-56-reticle
Just my .02

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah yeah yeah go be poor somewhere else, have to pay to play…right lol.
Someone should have told that to Rumsfeld when he told us “You go to war with the Army you have, not what you want.”
I like my Nightforce scopes. They’re very nice. Very clear.
Do they make me hit targets better than a red dot at red dot distances? No.
Are red dots faster at red dot distances? Every single time.
Dude asks about cheap magnifiers and LPVO’s, dudes come in to brag on their Vortex. 🤦‍♂️🤣
Cry me a river DUDE, if you have it or can do it, it isn’t bragging. It’s fact. Take your self righteousness and peddle it elsewhere. Why would anyone recommend cheap crap to a fellow shooter? When you‘re dealing with electronics, polished/coated glass, longevity, durability, repeatability, and survivability cheap doesn’t enter into the conversation regardless of the OP’s perceived financial abilities. And, if you‘re as knowledgeable as you think you are you would know this.

You’re the one who got his panties in a bunch with my answer. Get over your woke attitude (yes, I’m privileged because I worked for it) or take it over to AR15.com, there you can play with the other 12 year olds.

Most of the firearm related posts on this site are, to your standards, bragging. Kind of like you mentioning the NF…..wow, I’m impressed, DUDE has a NF. Which one is it? It’s not the NX8 1-8x24 is it because that has a terrible eyebox and I wouldn’t recommend it. My LPVO is just as effective as a red dot in close and more effective at distance than a red dot with magnifier and I’m not crying with buyers remorse a year from now wishing I had not listened to some here and saved my money and gone a different route.

Yes, you really do have to pay to play but, you already knew this or you wouldn’t own a Vortex Razor and a NF when a Strike Eagle would have sufficed how be it with great disadvantage in quality and performance.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re the one who got his panties in a bunch with my answer. Get over your woke attitude (yes, I’m privileged because I worked for it) or take it over to AR15.com, there you can play with the other 12 year olds.

Oh I'd say your panties are there too lol....

Latest posts

Top Bottom