Cheapest berm retainer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hoping I can make the back more vertical so i can make more berm with the amount of dirt. Once that's all squared away, I plan on putting grass seed to help with the front more exposed side.

I've been scouring marketplace and Ceaigslist and just haven't seen anything that is really standing out, at least locally. Seems if I was in Kansas, Iowa or South Dakota I could get railroad ties for half the price.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have grass seed blown on it, or do it yourself.
I was going to say sprig it with Bermuda grass. As I recall, that’s what the County Extension agent suggested to do around the pond my dad built.

If you want it to be an authentic Oklahoma shootin’ berm, don’t forget the sand burrs.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check with local power company and see if they are doing any power pole replacement near you. They will give away the old poles and possibly deliver when they are ready to haul off. My local power company asked if I needed any for corner post when working in my area. I said sure, was asked how many I wanted and where did I want them stacked. Got about 30 poles, I plan to use for retaining wall on end of barn that the ground slopes away and keeps washing out. Set some as post, stack them up drill half inch holes, drive rebar in holes to anchor, then back fill.
PS: Bonus is there is still copper ground wire on every 35 to 40' pole 1/4 inch thick.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
yep yes yes. this is the best idea. tires filled with dirt. probably could just build a wall out of them with dirt inside and that is all you would need????
This is true. 👆 👆 And in case of riots, you have a ready source for roadblocks and fires; just like overseas and Portland.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Local concrete plant often gives away their waste concrete if you’ll haul it. Get a guy with a 10 wheeler & pup to bring a single load to you, and ask him to get the larger chunks in the pup to kick out first, then the finer stuff used for road base second. Pile up the larger debris and rip rap sized material around your berm, then dump the finer stuff on top to filter down through it as it rains. It’ll harden up well over time. Plant some evergreens around it so you don’t have to look at it, and that’ll help deter the bottom from eroding away.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May have been on another forum or possibly this one but a guy used a big tree stump to "absorb" his bullets.
Think he said he moved it around with his tractor until it got so heavy it could not be moved and the bullets would hit it and fall to the ground in front of it.

He then burned it and at the bottom of the ash pile was a large amount of melted lead that he used to cast more bullets.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
May have been on another forum or possibly this one but a guy used a big tree stump to "absorb" his bullets.
Think he said he moved it around with his tractor until it got so heavy it could not be moved and the bullets would hit it and fall to the ground in front of it.

He then burned it and at the bottom of the ash pile was a large amount of melted lead that he used to cast more bullets.
But you didn't do that right? Coz that's prolly a story, like a real paul buyan kind of story.

Latest posts

Top Bottom