Check your lugnuts and post lift torque specs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you sign the paperwork at Sam's it says you will re-torque after 50 miles.
CYA move. But I have seen them using a torque wrench not just an impact.
Had Sam's put tires on my truck one time which will be the last time. I had a Proto torque wrench set for the factory torque in the drivers seat with a note to use this and not an impact wrench.
There was a window to the shop and saw the guy use an impact on the aluminum wheels.
Contacted the store manager and pointed out the issue and the owners manual saying to NOT use an impact when torquing the lug nuts.
He had the tire guy back off the nuts and use my wrench to put them back on. He was visibly pissed so I stopped in the parking lot and checked the torque.
Found the guy had backed off the wrench which was calibrated by the company I worked for to about 40 lbs. He neglected to put the wrench back to the setting it had been preset for.
Went back into the store and called for the store manager again.
He saw the issue and said he would take care of it, but I don't know the final result and I torqued them down to factory specs and went down the road, checking them again when getting home.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had Sam's put tires on my truck one time which will be the last time. I had a Proto torque wrench set for the factory torque in the drivers seat with a note to use this and not an impact wrench.
There was a window to the shop and saw the guy use an impact on the aluminum wheels.
Contacted the store manager and pointed out the issue and the owners manual saying to NOT use an impact when torquing the lug nuts.
He had the tire guy back off the nuts and use my wrench to put them back on. He was visibly pissed so I stopped in the parking lot and checked the torque.
Found the guy had backed off the wrench which was calibrated by the company I worked for to about 40 lbs. He neglected to put the wrench back to the setting it had been preset for.
Went back into the store and called for the store manager again.
He saw the issue and said he would take care of it, but I don't know the final result and I torqued them down to factory specs and went down the road, checking them again when getting home.
I have factory Ford Superduty wheels on my Jeep. The wheels are hub centric and not lug it centric like most other aluminum wheels. Nothing is ever “normal” with those Fords!

image.jpg

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was on kilpatrick turnpike a couple weeks ago and saw a guy in a lifted/wheel spacers F250 lose a front wheel at 70mph… not cool

I work on my own vehicles when I can. I’m a hobby gearhead/shade tree mechanic I guess. I’m thankful for it though! I like to KNOW what went into my vehicles. Especially the SUV my wife and children use. No chance in hell I’m trusting the high school dropout at hibdon with my families safety.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always rotated my own tires and used a 18" socket driver handle. I could easily judge the proper torque. within a few pounds. I weigh 230 lbs (I am not fat) and all I needed was about 1/3 my body weight minus a few pounds with an 18" wrench. not very spec friendly but they never came loose on a 1 ton truck
Same with reassembling a diesel engine, top to bottom.

Hibdons screwed me once when I got lazy and didnt do it myself and at 7o MPH on the interstate, headed to Stillwater for a football game with my family, I heard a noise. Stopped and checked the lugs and a few were finger loose 1 full turn.
I quit going to Hibdon's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom