Cheeseburgers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll say it again. If you want good beef and to help out a kid at the same time, contact your local school ag teacher and see if there are any kids that have show steers they don’t want after show season.
My brother and I have been splitting my niece’s steers for a few years, but now that my nephew is showing too, I’m buying his whole steer and will split it with my kids or in-laws.

Like everything else, the price of cattle, feed, and processing have gone up, but what we‘re getting is better and still much cheaper than what you can buy at the grocery store.
And you can tell the butcher what fat percentage you want and what cuts you want.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I called the processor Wednesday and asked when a beef could be taken in and was told September ! Luckily for us we have connections and I'll get in shortly after I give the word we're ready.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So how long will beef last in a freezer before it gets freezer burnt ?

I have found deer meat I package and freeze in an old school freezer that IS NOT frost free and is set at -10 to -20° will last over 10 years without any freezer burn.
This is wrapped in plastic wrap like saran wrap and then wrapped in freezer paper Renyolds brand with plastic coating on one side.

Now Hog meat is way different as it has a lot of fat in it and that seems to get the funky freezer flavor after a couple years.
Is it the fat??
I just know many 10 year old packages of deer meat has been thawed and eaten here with Zero off flavor.

I am not worried about what diseases a coon or other critter has either.
I fully cook my meat.

If I get sick and die from what I eat then it must have been my time to go.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now Hog meat is way different as it has a lot of fat in it and that seems to get the funky freezer flavor after a couple years.
Is it the fat??
Fat can still go rancid in a freezer. It's not unhealthy but has an off taste.

KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
Frozen foods are safe indefinitely. For best quality, fresh pork roast, steaks, chops or ribs should be used within four to six months; fresh ground pork, pork liver or variety meats should be used within three to four months; and home cooked pork; soups, stews or casseroles within two to three months. After that, they will still be safe but may lose quality or dry out. For more information about pork visit Fresh Pork from Farm to Table.

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/How-long-can-you-freeze-pork

Latest posts

Top Bottom