Chest Rigs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.Hinkle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wanting to purchase my first chest rig. I'm wanting to run 3+ AR mags, a radio, and preferably also be able to attach a TQ. This is my first time dipping my toes into the chest rig world.

There seems to be a lot of decent chest rig manufacturers outside of the behemoth companies like Spiritus, Haley Strategic, Velocity Systems, etc. I'm curious about any that you have used in the past that have held up well.

Thanks!

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A big question is how often are you going to use this? Is it for emergencies or do you plan on wearing it every time you go shooting? I will shortly be buying a Condor Recon chest rig, but it is meant for emergencies only. If I wasn't a fatty and I trained with it, I would probably go with something nicer.

A.Hinkle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Budget? -- Cheap and Chicom or USish? You want working kit? Or something that's spendy and gimmicky?
I anticipate needing to play around with the set up to find what works best for me, so I'd probably be willing to spend a little more on something modular than something that is strictly sewn, but if its not modular and doesn't have 3 pistols mag slots and 5 gp pouches I'm still open to it. The budget is flexible but I'd rather delay the purchase a month or two to get something higher priced than go out and buy a cheap, gimmicky $50 piece of load bearing equipment.

A.Hinkle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A big question is how often are you going to use this? Is it for emergencies or do you plan on wearing it every time you go shooting? I will shortly be buying a Condor Recon chest rig, but it is meant for emergencies only. If I wasn't a fatty and I trained with it, I would probably go with something nicer.
Looking for something to train with and use as often as I can. I'd rather not skimp out, though I also don't expect this to be the last AR focused rig I ever buy, seems like the common takeaway is you don't know what you don't like until you've ran it. But its also not for competition, its for training/larping with friends/self defense, probably in that order as I don't expect much time to grab kit when something goes bump in the night.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a spiritus micro fight set up with 2 pistol and 4 AR mags with the fat straps. I like it decently well and fits what I was wanting. It can be scaled up to be more versatile. You can find decent deals on big name rigs on eBay pretty often.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for something to train with and use as often as I can. I'd rather not skimp out, though I also don't expect this to be the last AR focused rig I ever buy, seems like the common takeaway is you don't know what you don't like until you've ran it. But its also not for competition, its for training/larping with friends/self defense, probably in that order as I don't expect much time to grab kit when something goes bump in the night.
You might look at beezcombatsystems, they have a variety at decent prices.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
than go out and buy a cheap, gimmicky $50 piece of load bearing equipment.
The expensive-r ones are just as gimmicky and useless IMO. Simple and tough are the best. The best solution IMO is a traditional rig with pouches on front, shoulder straps that "X" in the back, and a waist strap. H-Harnesses are always complicated, heavy, and don't do the job (load bearing) regular X straps do.
You want an H-harness for your combat belt - the belt is where you want to spend $$

This is what I recommend. TT MAV. I've used the MAV and Split MAV in all kinds of sh*tty places on the Earth for years and they never fail. It's simple, comfy, and tough, and screams old school. Affordable too. No laser-cut BS here. Just good kit. The "X harness" makes it more comfy.
https://tacticaltailor.com/products/vests/chest-rigs/
This H-Harness can be flipped and converted to an X-Harness
https://eagleindustries.com/multi-mission-chest-rig/
Third choice is a Chicom AK chest harness. These hold 6 to 8 mags and your lickies & chewies in the side pouches depending on the style. Don't get the SKS ones, they don't hold mags. These can do everything you ask for $30 and will last as long as the cotton duck does. This is as Chicom as you can get, but it works great.
👇👇👇👇
chicom CX rig.jpg
chicom CXrig.jpg

And, if you are ever able to find an Eagle SF30 AK, get one regardless of the color. Hands down the best Chest rig on the planet. I wish I would have kept mine. They're obsolete...had to make them that way coz nobody would buy their new stuff.
👇 👇 👇 👇

Eagle AKSF.jpg

Last edited:

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several made by Gadsden Dynamics...their AR, AK, SMG & shotgun placards. They're reasonably priced, and solid pieces of gear. I have a 5.56 Spiritus that I like well enough.

My chest rig for work is a Unobtanium Gear "Dank Robber Heavy"...3x 308 mags, 3x pistol mags, radio under one arm and a smoke grenade (I put TQ's there) under the other. I've been really pleased with it so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom