Chevy StabiliTrak question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish ya luck. My wife's vehicle has had this problem forever. It's a 2013 escalade and we bought it in 2016 or 17 with 56k miles. It has over 100k on it nowadays. Every since we've owned it it would occasionally ding and flash the service stabiltrack message and the cruise would kick off if it was on. I replaced the brake switch as mentioned above and still no fix. We were gonna trade it in this last spring, not because of this problem but just to get a lower mileage vehicle, and when the dealer pulled Carfax we found out that our vehicle was a lemon law buyback in California not long before we bought it. Further investigation showed several records of it going to the dealer for this same problem and I think they'd put 3 brake switches in it. Sooooo, yeah, being branded a buyback killed our trade value. It's weird cuz it may not give the message for weeks, then it'll do it 20 times in a 10mi trip. Sometimes when you hit a bump and sometimes just on a smooth rode. Sometimes as soon as you take it out of park. I was following my wife down the highway one night and her brake lights were constantly on. I called her and she said she wasn't touching the brakes. So anyhow, I'm gonna try to figure this gremlin out someday.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish ya luck. My wife's vehicle has had this problem forever. It's a 2013 escalade and we bought it in 2016 or 17 with 56k miles. It has over 100k on it nowadays. Every since we've owned it it would occasionally ding and flash the service stabiltrack message and the cruise would kick off if it was on. I replaced the brake switch as mentioned above and still no fix. We were gonna trade it in this last spring, not because of this problem but just to get a lower mileage vehicle, and when the dealer pulled Carfax we found out that our vehicle was a lemon law buyback in California not long before we bought it. Further investigation showed several records of it going to the dealer for this same problem and I think they'd put 3 brake switches in it. Sooooo, yeah, being branded a buyback killed our trade value. It's weird cuz it may not give the message for weeks, then it'll do it 20 times in a 10mi trip. Sometimes when you hit a bump and sometimes just on a smooth rode. Sometimes as soon as you take it out of park. I was following my wife down the highway one night and her brake lights were constantly on. I called her and she said she wasn't touching the brakes. So anyhow, I'm gonna try to figure this gremlin out someday.

Yeah, I wish you luck with that one! At least this one is staying on all the time! Nothing intermittent about it! Once it came on, it stayed on! I absolutely hate intermittent gremlins like that! Used to have to chase them on airplanes and, just when you thought it was fixed for good ... here it came again! At least I wasn't buying those high dollar parts. Oh, wait. Yeah, I was. With yours and my tax dollars!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have an intermittent ground. Best of luck finding it. Watch a few of this guy's videos for a clue on your future task.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Can you break a hunerd? I might be interested. Check the frame ground under the drivers side floor board.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dealer only part!

Ughhh, This is another thing that needs to stop. Had to replace a fuse that was a dealer only part trying to help a guy. Ended up having to cut a piece out of the fuse box on his car to make a standard fuse work. My guess is they will charge an arm and a leg for it and a lot of times won't just let you cash and carry so the stealership has you bent over a barrel. Right to repair is also right to get parts from other sources. Nothing should be Stealership only.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ughhh, This is another thing that needs to stop. Had to replace a fuse that was a dealer only part trying to help a guy. Ended up having to cut a piece out of the fuse box on his car to make a standard fuse work. My guess is they will charge an arm and a leg for it and a lot of times won't just let you cash and carry so the stealership has you bent over a barrel. Right to repair is also right to get parts from other sources. Nothing should be Stealership only.

Agreed. Well, the shop had to order/buy the part from the stealership, but at least they can install/calibrate it. They said there are some parts (mainly high end imports, read, BMW, Jaguar ...) that must be taken to a dealership for programming/calibration.

Latest posts

Top Bottom