Chicken ,past,present and future.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think black chicken meat looks good at all.
Screenshot_20230128-200340.png

Fade2blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 2nd breed you can often find on craigslist farm and garden. The 1st one I've not heard of or seen. Purely out of curiosity, what makes you want those 2 breeds ?
Just to have different birds/eggs in the flock. Have 4 buff orps and a black langshan rooster. Looking to get an egger, barred rock, copper maran and a Leghorn this season.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wifey showed me today the thighs were $5.95 lb and the breasts were $12 lb. We prefer dark meat anyway.
Y'all need to quit shopping at Whole Foods!! :)

Just checked the freezer from yesterday's trip to Winco in Moore. Boneless/skinless thighs $3.58/lb. Boneless/skinless breasts $3.98/lb. Center cut pork chops $2.58/lb. Baby back ribs $2.58/lb.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks I'd never heard of Myer. I'm not sure if the chicks would survive shipping. Hatch eggs might but I've heard the incubators that work are not cheap.
Meyer hatchery, others that come to mind are Welp, Murray McMurray and Cackle. We have 4 colors of standard cochins coming from Cackle in april.
A person is best off buying chicks. The hatch percentage on shipped eggs is generally low. Typically it's a person who just has to have a type that will gamble on shipped eggs.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks I'd never heard of Myer. I'm not sure if the chicks would survive shipping. Hatch eggs might but I've heard the incubators that work are not cheap.
Chicks have been shipped for like 100 years, actually much higher success than shipping eggs. They can ship small amounts of chicks but it is cheaper to order 25 at a time. I use to pack my orders of rare chicks out with meat birds. Sometimes you lose a few but it is generally successful, they refund anything lost in the first 48 hours. Same way the feed store gets their birds. The good thing is OK is much closer to the hatch series then shipping to the west coast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom