Chicken ,past,present and future.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Silkies have black / dark skin and I've never known one of any weight. But then I'm only familiar with U.S birds. Your birds are safe, I prefer more meat on they're bones.
Well, that flock is no longer with us lol
OIP (9).jpeg
. I don't think I could eat sillkies, the black flesh thing is weird, and its like killing a pokemon, but they are revered for eating.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve raised Cornish cross/broilers. Did it for several seasons. Feed to meat conversion ratio is great, great for filling a freezer. That being said we got less and less excited about them each year.

We even did the Joel salatin method of portable coop and let them graze etc… but at the end of the day we were just feeding them commercial feed, and for the most part, they just sit on their butts and eat feed.

Unless you truly take the time to make your own feed, or seek out all organic options… basically what you are raising is really not much different than what is in the supermarket

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just think about the productivity of chickens? they lay an egg every day for a good part of the year and those eggs are all potential chickens. they are one of the best commercial feed converters and the reproduction is amazing.
That is correct in a way. However, the meat chicken carcass we are all used to, that is sold in every grocery store, is a Frankenstein breed that really doesn’t get used for egg production. They don’t even reach full maturity.

We eat egg layer breeds at our house all the time. Honestly I prefer them. But the meat is tough and stringy. Very similar to cottontail rabbit.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone have any leads on where I can get an “ Omlet Chicken Tractor “ , or some such Chicken Tractor, my wife is looking for ? ….or has one they want to sell ? Thanks 🐥

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure omlet makes a tractor but you could attach wheels to a regular coop. I use their automatic door. Had to order it from their website. Chicken Coops, Walk in Chicken Runs, Chicken Fencing and more | Omlet
My neighbor has one that looks like this

Does anyone know where to get a Svart Hona or Ayam Cemani chick?

The 2nd breed you can often find on craigslist farm and garden. The 1st one I've not heard of or seen. Purely out of curiosity, what makes you want those 2 breeds ?

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom