Chicken Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know what might be causing the issue on top of my chickens beak? We use a nipple waterer. Also, she has a metal coop and I thought it might be from her sticking her beak through it repeatedly, but I don’t know why she would be doing that.
45168E49-A4AB-4701-B97C-501547384C07.jpeg

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You got me. If it were me I'd check with a vet on this one. If she loses her beak she won't be able to eat or drink so ... And that's awful close to the base ...

Did it appear overnight or has it been growing larger over time? Is it solid? Or does the center crumble when you mess with it? Is it as dry as it looks or is the center moist? I can't really tell -- is it scabbed over or does it have a small indentation in the center of the sore?

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She’s the only one right now. I was thinking it may be from hitting the nipple waterer repeatedly to drink, so I took it away and gave her a small Rubbermaid storage bin for water instead. Only other thing I could think of was she may be sticking her beak through her coop or the garden fencing we built her run from, and it’s wearing down her beak.

Yesterday evening the small piece visible in the picture must have come off, and there was a spot of blood like if you rip a scab off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom