chicken update.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.enasco.com/product/C14386N

here is what i use in the tub to keep the water warm. it has lasted for years.

Wish I could find one of these in about 60 to 100 watt. I use a 5 gallon bucket with chicken nipples on it.
I would think 250 watts would melt the bucket if it touched the side or bottom.

Wonder if I could run it on 24 volts. That would make it about 50 watts? P=IxE

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wish I could find one of these in about 60 to 100 watt. I use a 5 gallon bucket with chicken nipples on it.
I would think 250 watts would melt the bucket if it touched the side or bottom.

Wonder if I could run it on 24 volts. That would make it about 50 watts? P=IxE

it is 250 watt but it only warms the water before the thermostat shuts it off. the water is cool to the touch and is cool enough that bacteria and algae aren't a problem either.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hung a red heat lamp over my water pan which is steel and it stayed plugged in during times when water would freeze.. Never froze..and it was high up enough to keep the floor around the area warm.
I had it in a big deflector type housing

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We dumped the clippings in the pen, and what ever scraps from the kitchen.
I even tossed a leg from the deer I processed the other day, they fought over it, and picked it clean.
I think they would eat anything, as long as it did not eat them first.

The asplin truck went by, so I got a load of chips, and have been tossing them in the pen,
just to give them something to dig in. The pen is 60 x 40' and they stay out there most of the day.

I will have to try the light.

What do you use to keep the water from freezing?

I had a chicken just about choke to death on a fileted fish skin. She got it so far down her throat, the only thing she could do was keep trying to eat it. Couldnt spit it out. I saw her fortunately and pulled it from her mouth, but was surprised she tried in the first place.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My chickens loved the fish leftovers after cleaning them.
I saw one eyeing the orange pee sack in the fish I hollered NOOOO! But too late the chicken pecked it..
It backed up started shaking it's head and wiping it's beak in the dirt ..Could not get that taste out it's mouth..That chicken stayed back a few feet while i was cleaning fish and waited for me to toss the scraps to her.

And only 1 egg since December 8th from those soon to be soaking in noodles chickens.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was eating peanuts and tossing the shells down. a couple of them went for the same half shell.
The one that got it swallowed it in one gulp. Well a couple gulps, but I could not imagine that
they could get something that big down.
It is a nightly battle when I feed the dog, to see who gets what. Good for getting a picky dog to eat. :spaghetti:

They love to peck brightly colored things, just ask the wife when she went out with her fancy cowboy boots! lol

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was eating peanuts and tossing the shells down. a couple of them went for the same half shell.
The one that got it swallowed it in one gulp. Well a couple gulps, but I could not imagine that
they could get something that big down.
It is a nightly battle when I feed the dog, to see who gets what. Good for getting a picky dog to eat. :spaghetti:

They love to peck brightly colored things, just ask the wife when she went out with her fancy cowboy boots! lol

My wife is a teacher and has a dress with a bunch of cherries printed on it. You should see our chicken as my wife walks around the backyard haha. She goes to town pecking at it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom