Chickens.?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the pullets and put them in a large container(make sure they can breath) and keep them warm. Give them wet crumble and access to a little water. It's normal to lose a few when they are very young. Make sure that their coop is very secure. Their night predators are raccoons, sometimes opossums, sometimes skunks(they really only want the eggs), foxes, and coyotes. Daytime are foxes, coyote/dogs, and hawks. A good rooster can help fend off some predators if he as a little lighting, but they can be aggressive and also fertilize the eggs. I hate my rooster, but he has directly saved the chickens from a coon on a couple of occasions, and alerted me to danger a couple of more times(if my wife would let me I would kill it anyway). If you have dogs you will need to train them not to chase or kill the chickens. Most dogs learn quickly, but may need a reminder within the first few months. Neighborhood dogs - I just fire shots near them and scare them off because I wouldn't want someone shooting my stupid dogs. Overall it is fairly easy to learn by doing. It is cheap to get into, and cheap if you make mistakes.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got 11 month old black australorps from country hatchery.
Ordered 15, got one rooster. They’ve been egg laying fiends until now. I’ll give em a rest until 2018 and then get a lamp out there to get them laying again.. highly recommend the hatchery and the breed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom