Chickens.?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have loved fried over-easy eggs since I was a kid. Mom always cooked us two each for breakfast, plus we had bacon (or sausage) along with toast.

I remember one breakfast before school age that Mom asked if I was still hungry (lol, I must have looked pretty forlorn). I said yes, and she cooked me two more eggs.

Surprisingly (to me anyway), I asked for two more after that and she refused... :D
I had two extra large, basted, with a slice of jalepeno jack cheese between them and two slices of bacon for breakfast this morning.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Slice of homemade bread toasted till it has a bit of crunch, spread on some real butter and let it melt into the crevices, top with 3 fresh brown eggs over easy sprinkled with freshly cracked black pepper...Ooops. I need a tissue please.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bought chicks from Atwoods and Tractor Supply. I have had better luck with TS.

Best bunch I have ever gotten were Rhode Island Reds. Great layers, large eggs. Make sure you get a rooster.

As stated earlier, pullets will make sure you get hens. Consider, 100 chicks hatch; 50 male and 50 female. They pull 40 female chicks to sell as pulleys, for more money. 60 straight run chicks, now in cage. ( 50m and 10f )
You buy a dozen, you may get 2-3 hens.

Stay away from bantams, unless you just want small eggs and small birds. We raised some bantams, but I would eat 6-7 eggs for breakfast.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We ordered 15 chicks (minimum order) from Cluck Hatchery in Lebanon, Missouri via the internet back on May 5th. The chicks that we ordered hatched on 06/28 and were shipped that same day. We had to go to the post office to pick them up the following day. They were very healthy, good looking chicks. We ordered 3 each of 5 different kinds of chickens. We got 3 Single Comb Rhode Island Reds, 3 Black Laced Red Wyandottes, 3 (ordered 3 but actually got 4) Barred Plymouth Rocks, 3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 French Black (**COPPER**) Marans. We purchased "sexed" chickens to have laying hens but sexing chickens is only 90% accurate so we had a 1.5% chance of having a rooster (cockerel). We suspect that is why we got one more chick than we ordered. Sure enough, one of the Black Laced Red Wyandottes is a rooster. We were told that they would start laying around 5 months of age and 4 months, 3 weeks and 1 day after they hatched we got our first egg. We have gotten dozens since and boy are they good eggs! We found our second double yoke egg yesterday. My wife can in with a couple of regular size eggs and one quit a bit bigger. She told me, "Either Roudy the rooster left us an egg or one of the girls is showing off". We suspected it was a double yolk since the only other egg we have gotten that big was a double yolk. Sure enough it was. Picture below.

DoubleYolkEggInShell.jpg

DoubleYolkEgg.jpg

Attachments

• DoubleYolkEggInShell.jpg
    DoubleYolkEggInShell.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DoubleYolkEgg.jpg
    DoubleYolkEgg.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody let their eggs sit out on the counter, ie non-refrigerated?

Anybody have experience with Caponizing? Looks like something interesting to do with the unwanted cockerels.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody let their eggs sit out on the counter, ie non-refrigerated?

Anybody have experience with Caponizing? Looks like something interesting to do with the unwanted cockerels.
We have (kept them out) but since there is a drawer in the fridge that a bazillion eggs fits in quite nicely they are in there now. I don't like clutter on my counters.

I've thought about caponizing also but it's just easier to chop the guy's head off, clean him out and put him in the freezer. An afternoon in a crock pot (after chopping him up and roasting him in the oven a while) makes him tender as any meat chicken you will ever raise.

I found this hysterical thread over on backyardchickens.com. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/caponization.42645/

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know from experience that if you let them set out on the counter they have a shelf life of around three months. If you can keep them somewhere cooler...that is better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom