Chinese Wisteria tree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blue Chinese Wisteria Tree

I was playing a video game of mine called Ghost of Tsushima and came into an area of trees that were gorgeous. This game is based on the Mongolian invasion of the Japanese Island of Tsushima in I believe the 16th century. I play as a samurai. For those that don’t know, the creators of the game went to Japan and tried to recreate the plant life and also consulted with ancient experts as to what everything would look like. They did an incredible job. So this is how I know the trees were real.
So I looked them up. Sure enough they are. Except the ones in the game are Japanese Wisteria trees. The Chinese version is much smaller than the Japanese version. My wife and I are really interested in getting a few of these but have no idea how to grow them or where they would be best to grow on our property. Does anyone on here happen to have these? They are incredibly beautiful trees. I read about planting and caring for them online but would like some local experience if anyone has it.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of it called a Wisteria tree and maybe you're talking about something completely different. We bought a Wisteria plant/vine from Lowes years ago and planted it in the backyard. Wisteria plants are beautiful in the spring when they bloom. Our luck the one we bought has never had a flower on it. The thing grows like crazy but never blooms. The Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa has the biggest and most beautiful Wisteria that my wife and I have ever seen. As far as caring for the one we have the only thing I do is keep it from growing up on the roof of the house.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We planted a Chaste Tree for the hummingbirds and the bees and they both love it. It seems to be similar but the blooms are more lavender colored. It is doing really well in our backyard. It can be tree like or bush like. We are keeping it about 7-8 foot tall like a bush.
The blooms seem to last much longer too so there is color in the yard even when it’s scorching hot.
ACF69413-3086-4546-AA40-280C4DBB3A7A.png

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen a few of the trees in my area but mainly the vine and the vine is very evasive if not maintained properly and like said about when it blooms the blooms will only last about 2 to 3 weeks if i remember correctly maybe longer and then it is just another green vine.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Japanese and Chinese wisteria both do so well here that they are considered invasive, American wisteria and Kentucky wisteria age good alternative that are somewhat slower growing and native. All vary in bloom time, though I don't remember how off the top of my head. Wisteria natural habit it a vine to have it grow as a tree it must be formed by heavy pruning similar to bonzai, Wisteria is also a goid bonsai subject and suited to beginners. A wisteria tree would be a cool project., I have seen it done many times. A benefit of wisteria is that it fixes nitrogen in the soil, this helps other plants grow. I got about 3 or 4 that volunteered in my back yard that I am keeping as nurse plants for the fruit trees I put in.

Attachments

• R (22).jpeg
    R (22).jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We planted a Chaste Tree for the hummingbirds and the bees and they both love it. It seems to be similar but the blooms are more lavender colored. It is doing really well in our backyard. It can be tree like or bush like. We are keeping it about 7-8 foot tall like a bush.
The blooms seem to last much longer too so there is color in the yard even when it’s scorching hot.View attachment 335221
I have been wondering what these are called, they are planted down covell, looks great with the roses.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also Black Locusts will give you something similar to the look of a wisteria tree and is an actual tree, it is Native to the region and does great. It is usually white but you can buy colored variants such as "purple robe" It responds well to pruning so you could give it the Japanese look. Also it grows FAST. Also it will be blooming in 4 years instead of 10 for wisteria, locusts will be a small tree in 3 years. It is also a nitrogen fixer, both wisteria and locust are in the pea family (fabacaea).

Latest posts

Top Bottom